Monday, October 1, 2012

My Father's Creation is Before Me (Psalm 121:1-2)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/1/2012 8:05:17 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  Psalm 121-PT-1

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                      Reference:  Psalm 121:1-2

 

            Message of the verses:  The 121st Psalm is one of my favorite psalms as a lot of years ago I put this psalm to memory and am looking forward to taking a closer look at it at this time.

 

            Let us begin looking at this psalm by seeing what some different Bible Teachers have said about it.  “This bears no other title than "A Song of degrees". It is several steps in advance of its predecessor, for it tells of the peace of God’s house, and the guardian care of the Lord, while Psalm 120 bemoans the departure of peace from the good man’s abode, and his exposure to the venomous assaults of slanderous tongues. In the first instance his eyes looked around with anguish, but here they look up with hope. From the constant recurrence of the word keep, we are led to name this song "a Psalm to the keeper of Israel". Were it not placed among the Pilgrim Psalms we should regard it as a martial hymn, fitted for the evensong of one who slept upon the tented field. It is a soldier’s song as well as a traveler’s hymn. There is an ascent in the psalm itself which rises to the greatest elevation of restful confidence (Charles H. Spurgeon).”

            “The author and circumstances are unknown.  This song strikes a strong not of assurance in 4 stages that God is help and protection to keep both Israel and individual believers safe from harm.”  (John MacArthur)

            “This may have been used as an antiphonal psalm that the pilgrims sang as they journeyed to Jerusalem to celebrate a feast.  The leader of the company opened with verses 1-2, which are in the first person, and different people or groups answered him with verses 3-4 and so on, which are in the second person.  The theme is God’s protection over His people; the world ‘keeps’ (watches over) is used six times.  Safety is something about which the pilgrims would be especially concerned as they journeyed on the roads through the hill country.  A pilgrim could stumble and hurt himself, or someone might suffer sunstroke, or a chilly night of camping out might give somebody a bad cold.  There was always the possibility of robbers swooping down.  But the message of the psalm applies to God’s pilgrims today and gives us the assurances we need as we journey in this life.”  (Warren Wiersbe)

 

            “My Father’s Creation Is Before Me” (vv. 1-2):  “1 ¶  «A Song of Ascents.» I will lift up my eyes to the mountains; From where shall my help come? 2  My help comes from the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.”

            “1 ¶  A song for pilgrims ascending to Jerusalem. I look up to the mountains-  does my help come from there? 2  My help comes from the LORD,  who made heaven and earth!”  (NLT)

            We may have a better translation in the first part of verse one from the NLT as it says “I look up to the mountains” where the NASB and the KJV adds the word will as it states “I will lift up my eyes to the mountains.”  The pilgrims were probably coming from Jericho which lies about 2700 feet below Jerusalem and it is all uphill to get there and so they had to be looking up as they traveled this long road to Jerusalem.  As they looked up they would be reminded that the God of creation dwelled at Jerusalem in the temple.  This had to give confidence to them knowing that if God created the world that He also had the power to care for them, to give them the help that they needed to go through life.  As believers we sometimes forget that are help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth and we trust in our own efforts of trust in governments to give us help, but God is greater than anything and is compassionate and desires to help us.

                        This portion of Psalm 121 reminds me of a song “This Is My Father’s World.”

 

1.       This is my Father's world,

  and to my listening ears

  all nature sings, and round me rings

  the music of the spheres. 

  This is my Father's world: 

  I rest me in the thought

  of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;

  his hand the wonders wrought.

 

2.       This is my Father's world,

  the birds their carols raise,

  the morning light, the lily white,

  declare their maker's praise. 

  This is my Father's world: 

  he shines in all that's fair;

  in the rustling grass I hear him pass;

  he speaks to me everywhere.

 

3.       This is my Father's world. 

  O let me ne'er forget

  that though the wrong seems oft so strong,

  God is the ruler yet. 

  This is my Father's world: 

  why should my heart be sad? 

  The Lord is King; let the heavens ring! 

  God reigns; let the earth be glad!

 

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As I look at the words of the first two verses of Psalm 121 and then look at the verses in the song above I am again reminded that God is in control of this world, God is the ruler yet, the Lord is King; let heavens ring! God reigns; let the earth be glad!  The world we live in does not seem to have God in control at this time, but that does not matter for God is truly in control and although the government and most of the media think that they are in control, one day soon they will realize that they are not.  The people of Jerusalem who handed Jesus over to be crucified thought that they were in control learned later that it was all a part of God marvelous plan to bring about salvation to those who would accept the Lord Jesus as their personal Savior and Lord, however they will still have to answer to the Lord for what they did and so will the politicians today have to answer to the Lord even though what is going on is a part of God’s plan.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Remember that God is totally in control and I am to trust Him and live for Him.

 

Memory verses for the week:  1Corinthians 13:1-8

 

            1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

            4 Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag, and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth, 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

            8 Love never fails, but if there are gifs of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge it will be done away.

 

10/1/2012 9:13:33 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment