Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Fathers Eyes Are upon Me (Psalm 121:3-4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/2/2012 8:21:52 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  Psalm 121 PT-2

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                      Reference:  Psalm 121:3-4

 

            Message of the verses:  In yesterday’s SD we looked at several introductions to Psalm 121 and the first two verses of the psalm.  Dr. Wiersbe wrote at the end of his introductory commentary these words:  “the message of the psalm applies to God’s pilgrims today and gives us the assurances we need as we journey in this life.”

 

            “My Father’s Eyes Are upon Me” (vv. 3-4):  “3 He will not allow your foot to slip; He who keeps you will not slumber. 4 Behold, He who keeps Israel Will neither slumber nor sleep.”

            This section has always reminded me of the time when Elijah was doing spiritual battle with the prophets of Baal and during that time they both had sacrifices to be burned, but the fire was to be set by their god Baal.  Elijah was taunting them and asked several questions of them and one of the questions he as if their god was asleep.  Well we learn in this section of that God does not sleep nor does he slumber and it is repeated two times in these verses to make sure we get the point.

            In the KJV we see the word move or moved in verse three where as the NASB uses slip and this word means to slip or slide, to stagger, to be shaken so it has really a deeper meaning that slip or move describes.  This would be important to those traveling to Jerusalem for the road was rocky and it would be easy to have your ankle to be sprained on this uneven path.  We know from the teachings of Psalm 110 that the Lord is interested in our walk as the psalmist wrote that Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.”  We also read in Isaiah 52, which Paul repeats in Romans that the Lord says the feet of those who preach the Gospel are beautiful to Him.

            The psalmist uses the word “keeps” in verse three and this word means “to guard and protect” and Dr. Wiersbe points out that the word is used six times in the psalm, (verses 3, 4, 5, 7, and two times in verse 8.)  Dr. Wiersbe point out that “It is used first in the Bible in Genesis 2:15 where the Lord put Adam in the garden ‘to keep it.’  This means to guard and protect it and take good care of it.  Even while we sleep, God watches over us because He does not go to sleep.”

Psalm 32:8 states “I will instruct you and teach you in the way which you should go; I will counsel you with My eye upon you.”  Psalm 34:15 states, “The eyes of the LORD are toward the righteous And His ears are open to their cry.”  We can rest assured that God is watching us and caring for us.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I can praise the Lord for His watch care over me and can know that God will protect me and cause my feet not to stumble for my God does not sleep and He does not even slumber, and my God is everywhere for there is not a place where He is not present.  My Lord has given me the Holy Spirit to live within my heart to guide me and to teach me from His Word.  These are wonderful things to praise the Lord for.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I desire to continue to learn contentment and continue to abide in the Vine.

 

Memory verses for the week:  1Cor. 13:1-8

 

            1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor and surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

            4 Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly, it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth, 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

            8 Love never fails, bit if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away, if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge it will be done away.

 

10/2/2012 8:57:04 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment