Sunday, May 27, 2012

An Overcoming People (Psalm 92:6-11)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR
5/27/2012 7:41:00 AM
My Worship Time      Focus:  An Overcoming People
Bible Reading & Meditation     Reference:  Psalm 92:5-11
 Message of the verses:  We began our journey through Psalm 92 in yesterday’s SD by looking at several introductions and then looking at the first five verses.  We will continue looking at the psalm in today’s SD.
 An Overcoming People (vv. 6-11):  “6  A senseless man has no knowledge, Nor does a stupid man understand this: 7 That when the wicked sprouted up like grass And all who did iniquity flourished, It was only that they might be destroyed forevermore. 8  But You, O LORD, are on high forever. 9  For, behold, Your enemies, O LORD, For, behold, Your enemies will perish; All who do iniquity will be scattered. 10  But You have exalted my horn like that of the wild ox; I have been anointed with fresh oil. 11  And my eye has looked exultantly upon my foes, My ears hear of the evildoers who rise up against me.”
 “6  Only a simpleton would not know,  and only a fool would not understand this: 7 Though the wicked sprout like weeds  and evildoers flourish,  they will be destroyed forever. 8  But you, O LORD, will be exalted forever. 9  Your enemies, LORD, will surely perish;  all evildoers will be scattered. 10  But you have made me as strong as a wild ox.  You have anointed me with the finest oil. 11  My eyes have seen the downfall of my enemies;  my ears have heard the defeat of my wicked opponents.” (NTL)
 We see a shift in the writing of the psalmist for he now speaks of the enemies of the Lord, which are also enemies of God’s people.  We see the word “senseless” and “simpleton” used in verse six from the two translations that I have used.  In the Hebrew English dictionary the word means stupid or brutish and the opposite of this would mean refined.  In verse seven we see that this person does not live too long for he is described as grass and weeds while when we look ahead to verse 12 we see “The righteous man will flourish like the palm tree, He will grow like a cedar in Lebanon.” 
 Next the psalmist speaks of the Lord being on high forever, certainly not like the senseless man who is like a weed.  Then the psalmist speaks of the enemies of the Lord perishing, and one day this will be the case of all of God’s enemies who are the believer’s enemies as well. 
 In verse ten the psalmist uses the word “horn” and that word symbols power and God will give his people power to overcome their foes.  (Luke 1:69; 1Sam. 2:1, 10; Psalms 75:4-5, 10; 89:17.)
 We also see the psalmist writing about oil, fresh oil in verse ten.  Dr. Wiersbe points out:  “Oil was used to anoint special people—kings, priests, and prophets—but the anonymous psalmist rejoiced because the Lord had anointed him with fresh oil. He may also have been speaking for all Israel and praising God for a special victory He had given them.  God wants his people to be overcomers and this comes when first we are worshipers.”
  Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It will be a wonderful day when the Lord gets rid of all of His enemies, but in the mean time I must become a better worshiper so that I can also be a better overcomer.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  I desire to be a better prayer warrior. 
5/27/2012 8:17:11 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment