Saturday, August 13, 2011

We have nothing to fear but fear itself


8/13/2011 7:45:36 AM



SPIRITUAL DIARY



My Worship Time                                                                                                                             Focus:  Fear



Bible Reading & Meditation                                                                                                         Reference:  Neh. 4:11-23



                Message of the verses:  “11  Our enemies said, "They will not know or see until we come among them, kill them and put a stop to the work." 12  When the Jews who lived near them came and told us ten times, "They will come up against us from every place where you may turn," 13  then I stationed men in the lowest parts of the space behind the wall, the exposed places, and I stationed the people in families with their swords, spears and bows. 14  When I saw their fear, I rose and spoke to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people: "Do not be afraid of them; remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and fight for your brothers, your sons, your daughters, your wives and your houses." 15  When our enemies heard that it was known to us, and that God had frustrated their plan, then all of us returned to the wall, each one to his work.

    “16 ¶  From that day on, half of my servants carried on the work while half of them held the spears, the shields, the bows and the breastplates; and the captains were behind the whole house of Judah. 17  Those who were rebuilding the wall and those who carried burdens took their load with one hand doing the work and the other holding a weapon. 18  As for the builders, each wore his sword girded at his side as he built, while the trumpeter stood near me. 19  I said to the nobles, the officials and the rest of the people, "The work is great and extensive, and we are separated on the wall far from one another. 20  "At whatever place you hear the sound of the trumpet, rally to us there. Our God will fight for us." 21  So we carried on the work with half of them holding spears from dawn until the stars appeared. 22  At that time I also said to the people, "Let each man with his servant spend the night within Jerusalem so that they may be a guard for us by night and a laborer by day." 23  So neither I, my brothers, my servants, nor the men of the guard who followed me, none of us removed our clothes, each took his weapon even to the water.”



                Fear is the forth devise that Satan used against the people who were working to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem and fear is surely something that Satan uses in the lives of believers today.

                How was it that Nehemiah and the people continued to work in spite of the opposition that was against them during this time of rebuilding the walls?  The late Dr. Alan Redpath explains how the Jews kept the enemy at bay:  “The people had a mind to work (v-6), a heart to pray (v-9), an eye to watch (v-9), and an ear to hear (v_20); and this gave them the victory.”  Dr. Wiersbe adds “They also had a godly leader with the faith to stand.”  “Therefore…be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord” (1Cor.15:58).

                It is not known if the Jews who lived in the outlying villages were conspired with the enemy when they continued to report that the enemy was going to attack them or if this was really true.  Regardless this report brought fear to the hearts of the people who were working on the wall, and fear and faith cannot live together in the heart of those who belong to the Lord.  Nehemiah now shows more of his consummate leadership skills in what he will do in order for the work to continue.  He set up guards at the most conspicuous and vulnerable places on the wall.  By doing this the enemy could see this and think twice about attacking.  Next he armed entire families and put them together because families would fight better if they were together.  These families were repairing their house along with the walls.  “When our enemies heard that it was known to us, and that God had frustrated their plan, then all of us returned to the wall, each one to his work”

                Nehemiah, who was a great leader, was encouraging the people who were working on the wall by all of these things that he was doing.  One can be assured that Nehemiah was also praying for wisdom and strength for these people who were under his care and leadership.

                Nehemiah also kept a man who had the trumpet close to him so that if the situation arose that man would blow the trumpet to alert the people.

                Dr. Wiersbe writes:  “When we face a situation that creates fear in our hearts, we must remind ourselves of the greatness of God.  If we walk by sight and view God through the problems, we will fail, as did the Jews at Kadesh-Barnea (Numbers 13:26-33).  But if we look at the problem through the greatness of God, we will have confidence and succeed.  That was the approach David took when he faced Goliath (1Sam. 17:45-47).  It is good to remind ourselves that the will of God comes from the heart of God and that we need not be afraid.”

                The defensive plan that Nehemiah put in place would take care of the problem of any new rumors that may come about.  In this way the work could continue to the glory of God which is one of the ways that Nehemiah would encourage the people to continue to work. 

                Here is a spiritual lesson that all believers can learn from this section:  “No matter what the workers were doing, or where they labored on the wall, they all kept an ear open for the sound of the trumpet.  What an example for us to follow as we await the return of the Lord!  ‘For the Lord Himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God’ (1Thes. 4:16).”



                Spiritual meaning for my life today:  This little story about Nehemiah and those who worked on the wall is a picture of the walk of a believer today.  As I go about my life and walk with the Lord on a daily basis there will be occasions when I will be tempted by fear just as these workers on the wall faced.  I must remember that I have a Great Leader in Jesus Christ.  I must remember that fear and faith cannot coexist in my heart.  I must remember the truth of 2Timothey 1:7 “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”  I must remember the truth of 1John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love.”  I must also remember to put on the Spiritual Armor just as the people who were building the wall had on their armor.  (Ephesians 6:10-18)

                When Paul wrote in Philippians 4:11 that he had learned to be content, I believe that he had learned to live without fear of circumstances, but only feared the Lord, and this verse has become my life verse and God has been working in my heart to bring about contentment, and with learning contentment I too will not fear circumstances, but trust totally in the Lord without fear.



My Steps of Faith for Today:



1.       Philippians 4:10-13 “10 ¶  But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly, that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned before, but you lacked opportunity. 11  Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. 12  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13  I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”

2.       Philippians 3:13-14 “13  Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14  I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.”8/13/2011 8:36:53 AM



               

               

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this today. I was looking up who said "nothing to fear but fear itself" and found this. I will remember that you cannot be in fear and faith at the same time!

    ReplyDelete