Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Lord Knows Our Circumstances & Meets our Needs (Ps. 142:3-7)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/1/2012 8:32:38 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                               Focus:  Psalm 142 PT-2

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                             Reference:  Psalm 142:3-7

 

            Message of the verses:  We will continue to look at the 142nd Psalm in Today’s SD.  Dr. Wiersbe wrote the following at the end of his introductory commentary, “He (David) knew very little about Saul and his plans, but he did know about Jehovah and His great promises, and because of his faith in these assurances, he triumphed over his feelings and his foes.”

 

            The Lord Knows Our Circumstances (vv. 3-4):  “3  When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, You knew my path. In the way where I walk They have hidden a trap for me. 4 Look to the right and see; For there is no one who regards me; There is no escape for me; No one cares for my soul.”

            It is believed that David was being hunted by Saul so that Saul might kill him, and that is the background for Psalm 142.  David was down, but not out for David had great faith in the Lord.  In verse one David uses the pronoun Him, but now in verse three he speaks of the Lord in a more personal way by calling Him “You” and states that God knew his path.  I wrote about this truth in yesterday’s SD, as I know that God knows me intimately, and He knows my circumstances, and will care for me by using my circumstances for His glory, and for my good (Romans 8:28).  Dr. Wiersbe writes “what life does to us depend on what life finds in us, and David was a man with faith in his heart.”  That statement means a lot for what life finds in us depends on our relationship with the Lord.  Memorizing the Word of God along with listening to it, and reading it and meditating on it helps us to be ready for the things in life that our difficult.  This is what Paul writes about to the Romans in the 12th chapter when he writes about giving ourselves to the Lord as a living sacrifice and then having our minds transformed by the Word of God so that we will be ready to face what life brings to us.  Dr. Wiersbe concludes this section with this statement “No matter the circumstances around us or the feelings within us, God cares for us.”  “casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you (1Pe. 5:7).”

 

 

            The Lord Meets Our Needs (vv. 5-7):  “5  I cried out to You, O LORD; I said, "You are my refuge, My portion in the land of the living. 6  "Give heed to my cry, For I am brought very low; Deliver me from my persecutors, For they are too strong for me. 7  "Bring my soul out of prison, So that I may give thanks to Your name; The righteous will surround me, For You will deal bountifully with me.’”

            After the terrorist attacks that came to America on September 11, 2001 the churches were filled in our country and one of the main themes that was used for the text of many sermons was the following, “God is our refuge and strength, A very present help in trouble. 2  Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change And though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; 3  Though its waters roar and foam, Though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. Selah (Psalm 46:1-3).”  Now we see in verse five of Psalm 142 that David is calling God His refuge. 

 

The following is the commentary that Charles H. Spurgeon offers on the first verse of Psalm 46:  “Ver. 1. God is our refuge and strength.  Not our armies, or our fortresses.  Israel’s boast is in Jehovah, the only living and true God.  Others vaunt their impregnable castles, placed on inaccessible rocks, and secured with gates of iron, but God is a far better refuge from distress than all these: and when the time comes to carry the war into the enemy’s territories, the Lord stands his people in better stead than all the valor of legions or the boasted strength of chariot and horse.  Soldiers of the cross, remember this, and count yourselves safe, and make yourselves strong in God.  Forget not the personal possessive word our;  make sure each one of your portion in God, that you may say, "He is my refuge and strength." Neither forget the fact that God is our refuge just now, in the immediate present, as truly as when David penned the word.  God alone is our all in all.  All other refuges are refuges of lies, all other strength is weakness, for power belongeth unto God: but as God is all sufficient, our defense and might are equal to all emergencies.”   I believe that this statement will help us better understand how important it is to have God as our refuge.

The Lord had provided a cave for David to live in so that he would be protected by it, but David knew that the Lord was meeting his need by being David’s refuge. 

David trusted the Lord to deliver him from the problems that he was in and would one day give praise to the Lord for delivering him from the terrible situation that he found himself in.  David looked forward to the day when the people of Israel would surround him when he became king, and so he could praise the Lord along with the people.

 

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  To realize that the Lord has a plan and a purpose for my life gives comfort to me.  My purpose in life is not what God had for David’s life, but it is important to me because it is what God has chosen for me to do and I can learn from the life of David how faithfulness to the Lord no matter what circumstance I find myself in is something I can hold on to.  I believe that when we look at Ephesians 2:10 we see that God has a plan for my life and all believer’s lives that was ordained by Him in eternity past, and so this give me confidence in the Lord to use me to accomplish the things He has planned for me through the power of the Holy Spirit and trusting in the Word that He uses to guide me through the plans He has for me.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to learn contentment and to continue to read and study the Word of God so that the Word will transform me into the image of Jesus Christ.

 

Memory verses for the week:  Psalm 130:1-6

 

            1 Out of the debts I cried to You, O LORD.  2 Lord, hear my voice!  Let Your ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.  3 If You, LORD should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?  4 But there is forgiveness with You, that You may be feared.

             5  I wait for the LORD, my soul does wait, And in His Word do I hope.  6 My soul waits for the Lord more than the watchman for the morning; Indeed more than the watchman for the morning.

 

12/1/2012 9:33:23 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment