Tuesday, September 12, 2017

God Will Forgive Their Sin (Acts 3:19b)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/12/2017 11:07 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  God Will Forgive Their Sin

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 3:19b

            Message of the verse:  “that your sins may be wiped away”

            Perhaps Peter’s words may have reminded his hearers of what David wrote in the 51st Psalm, a Psalm he wrote in confession to what had happened between he and Bathsheba and her husband Uriah.  “Hide Your face from my sins And blot out all my iniquities (Psalm 51:9).”  The problem with the first-century Judaism and also the works-righteousness system is that it only tells you about your sins, but doesn’t tell you how to be forgiven of your sins as it served only to “weight men down with burdens hard to bear” as Jesus stated in Luke 11:46.  God has provided for mankind forgiveness of their sins which is not only found in the New Testament, but Old Testament as well.  Isaiah 43:25 “"I, even I, am the one who wipes out your transgressions for My own sake, And I will not remember your sins.”  Isaiah 44:22 “"I have wiped out your transgressions like a thick cloud And your sins like a heavy mist. Return to Me, for I have redeemed you."”  “Ps 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us.”  (Just be thankful that the Psalmist did not say North from the South.)

            John MacArthur writes “There is only one way to receive God’s forgiveness—through faith in His Son Jesus Christ.  Peter boldly proclaimed to the Sanhedrin that ‘[Jesus] is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins’ (Acts 5:31).  It is ‘through His name [that] everyone who believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins’ (Acts 10:43).  ‘In Him,’ Paul wrote to the Ephesians, ‘we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace’ (Eph. 1:7; cf. Col. 1:14).  In Ephesians 4:32 he added, ‘God in Christ…has forgiven you.’  The sacrificial death of Jesus Christ accomplished what the Levitical system was unable to, since ‘it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins’ (Heb. 10:4)

            Exaleipho (wiped away) pictures the wiping of ink off a document (cf. Col. 2:14).  Unlike modern ink, ink in the ancient world had no acid content.  Consequently, it did not bite into the papyrus or vellum used for documents.  Instead, it remained on the surface where it could easily be wiped away by a damp sponge.  God does far more than merely cross out believers’ sins, He wipes them away completely.  They are gone beyond the possibility of review or recall.  Even their horrible sin of rejecting and executing their Messiah was not indelible and could be wiped away.”

            Romans 6:4-5 tells us that those who place their faith in Christ are united with Him in His death and also resurrection:  “death? 4 Therefore we have been buried with Him through baptism into death, so that as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, so we too might walk in newness of life. 5 For if we have become united with Him in the likeness of His death, certainly we shall also be in the likeness of His resurrection,” Because of this God  “having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross (Col. 2:14).”  Paul writes in Romans 8:1 “Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.”

            One of my wife’s favorite hymns “It is Well with My soul” was written by Horatio Spafford who penned it after a part of his family died by drowning. If I remember correctly he wrote part of it before the tragic death of part of his family and then after that he wrote more verses to this wonderful hymn 

“My sin, O, the bliss of this glorious thought,

My sin not in part but the whole

Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more,

Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O, my soul!”

            John MacArthur adds “Those words find their echo in every redeemed heart.”

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Sometimes in the day-to-day life I forget that Christ has forgiven all of my sins, and this is not good.  It is wonderful to be reminded of this truth.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Holy Spirit to used my Spiritual Diaries to bring honor and glory to my Lord, to whom I owe all too.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  Pull out the beam from thine own eye” (Matthew 7:5).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said, ‘I saw in my vision by night, and, behold the four winds of the heaven stove upon the great sea’?”

Answer in our next SD.

9/12/2017 11:39 AM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment