Monday, November 6, 2017

PT-3 "His Character" (Acts 6:8)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/6/2017 9:59 AM

My Worship Time                                                                             Focus:   PT-3 “His Character”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                             Reference:  Acts 6:8

            Message of the verses:  “And Stephen, full of grace and power, was performing great wonders and signs among the people.” 

            We have been looking, or at least starting to look at the Godward and manward sides of Christian character and we want to continue looking at that in this SD.

            Why and how do believers do righteous deeds?  Well first of all righteous deeds is a basic NT principle for believers to do because of what happened to them at the new birth.  Let’s look at Colossians 3:8-9a “8 But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. 9 Do not lie to one another.”  Paul is teaching these believers and others too from other letters he wrote, that all Christian joy and usefulness, and all power and gracious service will flow out of faith and obedience, and as we have been studying the life of Stephen we can see this was true in his life.  Believers were not to practice these things Paul listed in Colossians 3:8-9a because they had “laid aside the old self with its evil practices, and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him” (Colossians 3:9b-10).  Paul goes on in this letter stating “12 So, as those who have been chosen of God, holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience; 13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you. 14 Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.” 

            The letters of Ephesians and Colossians were written from Paul in prison and therefore they have some similar things in them so I have a couple of fairly long quotes from Ephesians 4:1-3, and then 4:17-32.

1 Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, 3 being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

17 So this I say, and affirm together with the Lord, that you walk no longer just as the Gentiles also walk, in the futility of their mind, 18 being darkened in their understanding, excluded from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, because of the hardness of their heart; 19 and they, having become callous, have given themselves over to sensuality for the practice of every kind of impurity with greediness. 20  But you did not learn Christ in this way, 21  if indeed you have heard Him and have been taught in Him, just as truth is in Jesus, 22  that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit, 23  and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24 and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth. 25 Therefore, laying aside falsehood, SPEAK TRUTH EACH ONE of you WITH HIS NEIGHBOR, for we are members of one another. 26 BE ANGRY, AND yet DO NOT SIN; do not let the sun go down on your anger, 27 and do not give the devil an opportunity. 28 He who steals must steal no longer; but rather he must labor, performing with his own hands what is good, so that he will have something to share with one who has need. 29 Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear. 30 Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. 32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.”

            John MacArthur concludes this section in his commentary by writing the following as he ties all these verses together with the life of Stephen:  “Stephen’s life displayed God’s grace and power because he was filled with obedient faith and with the Holy Spirit.  Those traits marked him with a greatness so often overlooked.  There is no other path to virtuous character and a spiritually influential life than the path Stephen exemplified.”

            Lord willing, we will move onto looking at Stephens’s courage in our next SD.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I wrote something in this place in my Spiritual Dairy in June of 2004 that I looked at this morning.  It was from a lesson on 1 John 1:5-6 which says “This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth;”  There are many enemies that I, as a believer have, and these enemies are out to destroy my walk with the Lord Jesus Christ.  Among these enemies are the world, the flesh, and the Devil.

            “My computer has recently had many different virus on it, and in thinking about these virus and how they get there and also what they do, and thinking about why someone would take the time to make things like this, God has been working in my heart to show me that there are times when the virus of sin acts in the same way in my life.

            “It seems to be easy to have my computer infected with a virus, it can happen just by getting onto the Internet.  The Internet is like the world, and if I am to go out into the world I must be protected by the Word of God, and if I go out into the world of the Internet, I must be protected by a virus protection program, and must keep it updated all of the time because there are new virus’ waiting to attack my computer every time I get on the Internet. 

            “Just like a virus can ruin the effectiveness of my computer if left undetected, so can sin ruin my testimony for the Lord if left undetected.  The answer to sin is to confess it to God as John wrote in 1John 1:9.” 

            Living the Christian life has been said to be impossible and I think that this means that it is impossible without the power of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God and there are times in my walk with the Lord when I forget things that we have talked about in this SD and I need to remember the truth from an old Scottish Pastor that Dr. Warren Wiersbe has quoted in many of his commentaries:  “The successful Christian life is a series of new beginnings.”  I suppose that I would have fewer “new beginnings” if I remember the truth of where I came from in the old life before Christ and concentrate on what I now am in the new life that I have in Christ.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I want to remember the truth of Matthew 11:28 “"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.’”  I have been given the rest of trying to do things on my own to receive salvation as Christ paid it all, but sometimes I fall into the trap of trying to do things in order to keep my salvation as I don’t trust the Lord for His rest that He has promised me.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Seven” (Exodus 2:16).

Today’s Bible question:  “What is one way to show yourselves “approved unto God?”  (The title of my blog will give you the answer.)

Answer in our next SD.

11/6/2017 10:41 AM  

           

No comments:

Post a Comment