Wednesday, December 6, 2017

"Productivity" (Acts 8:8)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/6/2017 8:08 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                         Focus:  “Productivity”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                             Reference:  Acts 8:8

            Message of the verse:  “8 So there was much rejoicing in that city.”

            I mentioned in our last SD that we had one more section to cover from the chapter entitled “The Persecuted Church Reaches Out” which comes from John MacArthur’s commentary on the book of Acts.  What I failed to mention was that this SD will be very, very short, as the verse that we are looking at this morning is very, very short.  I was sort of surprised to find out that this first section in MacArthur’s commentary from the eight chapter of Acts broke in the middle of a paragraph, but after reading what happens in the next section (9-24) I understand it.  We will be looking at what he calls “A Faith that does not Save” in the next section, and in that section of Acts it has always been somewhat of a mystery to me, so perhaps that mystery will be solved.

            We have been looking at Philip’s powerful preaching in the last few Spiritual Diaries, preaching that also had him doing great miracles, and what we read in the book of Acts, “signs and wonders.”  We have to remember that the church at the beginning of the book of Acts was just beginning and God would use what we call “sign gifts” in order to get the church off the ground so to speak.  When we look at Paul’s ministry near the end of his life we read that he had left a person who was helping him in his ministry sick and that tells me that these sign gifts were ended.  I have a friend of mine who mentored me for about four years when I first became a believer and one of the questions that I had was about healings that some people say still goes on today, I guess the question was more about “faith healers” than whether or not God heals people today.  At any rate he told me that God heals you every time you are ill except the last time when He will take believers into glory.

            John MacArthur writes “The powerful miracles and preaching of Philip resulted, as it had in Jerusalem, in the salvation of many Samaritans.  But true biblical preaching inevitably does, it produced another vastly different response.  Some accepted the gospel, believing and reacting with ‘much rejoicing.’  They were the true believers, the wheat.  Their joy came not just from physical deliverance from diseases, or spiritual deliverance from demons, but from complete deliverance from sin through the Messiah, the Lord Jesus Christ.  Others, however, were false believers, or tares.  Such a man was Simon Magus, the subject of the following narrative.”

            We will begin to look at Simon Magus in our next SD as we look at the introduction to Acts 8:9-24.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I will always be thankful for Fred, the man who took the time to mentor me for four years before I began to attend Grace Baptist Church which lasted for 32 years.  He taught me many valuable lessons, and for that I am grateful.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to continue to teach me from His Word and as I learn from His Word will be able to help others to learn too.

Memory verses:  Philippians 4:1, 8 “Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.”  “Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “First Corinthians” (15:6).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘Am I my brother’s keeper’?”

Answer in our next SD.

12/6/2017 8:35 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment