Thursday, February 8, 2018

Spiritual Ministry (Acts 13:2a)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/8/2018 9:46 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  Spiritual Ministry

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 13:2a

            Message of the verses:  “2 While they were ministering to the Lord and fasting,”

            Verse two speaks of the Spiritual leaders who were mentioned in verse on, and this portion of verse two tells us what they were doing for the cause of Christ.  They were ministering to the Lord and a part of that ministry included fasting, something that we rarely if ever see in churches today. 

            John MacArthur writes “Ministering’ is from (leitourgeo) a word that originally meant ‘to discharge a public office.’  It was ‘used of the Attic orators who served the state at their own cost’ (A. T. Robertson).  The leaders of the Antioch church faithfully discharged the office God called them to and fulfilled their ministry (cf. 2 Tim. 4:5).”  “5  But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry (2 Tim. 4:5).”

            MacArthur goes on to write “In Scripture, however, leitourgeo means more than public service; it describes priestly service.  In the Septuagint it described the priests who ministered in the tabernacle (Ex. 28:41).  Serving in a leadership role in the church must be viewed as an art of worship to God.  Such services consists of offering spiritual sacrifices to Him (cf. Heb. 13:15-16), including prayer, oversight of the flock, studying, and preaching and teaching the Word.”

            One may wonder who their ministering was directed, and if you think it is their congregation you would be wrong for their ministering was to the Lord, and this is crucial to understand that God is the audience for all spiritual ministry.  When one goes to a church service to worship the Lord the Lord is an audience of One.  MacArthur adds “Those whose goal is ministering to people will be tempted to compromise to achieve that end.  Making the Lord the object of ministry obviates the need for compromise.”

            Let us look at 2 Corinthians 8:5 to help us understand why we’re to making the Lord are object of ministry:  “5 and this, not as we had expected, but they first gave themselves to the Lord and to us by the will of God.”  This verse speaks of the Macedonian believers.  The Macedonian believers were “diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth (2 Tim. 2:15).”  Colossians 3:23-24 adds “23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, 24 knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.”

            Fasting and prayer go together many times in the Word of God.  I want to look at Nehemiah 1:4 to give an example “4 When I heard these words, I sat down and wept and mourned for days; and I was fasting and praying before the God of heaven.”  When I retired from my regular job that I had had for 35 years I wanted to see what the Lord desired me to do and so I spent some time fasting and praying.  Not eating for a week, only drinking water makes your mind clearer than when you eat.  God can use times of fasting to enhance your prayer life and get closer to the Lord.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  It was a good reminder to me as I looked at this passage to begin to focus my ministry on the Lord, to give myself to Him for the purpose of ministering to Him.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  As I am thinking about the fourth chapter of Revelation for my Sunday school class for next week I pray that the Lord will give to me the things that He wants me to talk about to bring glory to His name.

Memory verse: Psalm 143:10 “Teach me to do Your will, For You are my God, Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Stone” (Luke 4:3).

Today’s Bible question:  “Whose wife did Jesus say we should remember?”

Answer in our next SD.

2/8/2018 10:15 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment