Sunday, May 5, 2019

PT-3 Becoming the New Self (Eph. 4:23-24)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/5/2019 10:45 PM

 

My Worship Time                                                                 Focus:  PT-3 “Become the New Self”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                              Reference:  Ephesians 4:23-24

 

            Message of the verses:  23 and that you be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24  and put on the new self, which in the likeness of God has been created in righteousness and holiness of the truth.”

 

            Let us begin by looking at the words righteousness and holiness as seen in verse 24.  Righteousness relates to our fellow men and reflects the second part of the Ten Commandments.  The first part speaks of God while the second part speaks of our neighbors similar to the two things that Jesus spoke of in the gospels when He said that we are to love God and love our neighbor.  I have also equated this with the cross as the vertical post goes up towards God and the horizontal represents our neighbors.  John MacArthur writes “Holiness’ (hostiotes, sacred observance of the duties to God) relates to God and reflects the first table (Ex. 20:3-11).  The believer, then, possess a new nature, a new self, a holy and righteous inner person fit for the presence of God.  This is the believer’s truest self.”

 

            So as we look at these two words we can see that both righteousness and holiness is this new self that Paul refuses to admit that any sin comes from that new creation in God’s image.  MacArthur goes on to say that “Thus his [Paul’s] language in Romans 6-7 is explicit in placing the reality of sin other than in the new self.  He says, ‘Do not let sin reign in your mortal body’ (6:12), and, ‘Do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin’ (6:13).”

 

            I certainly have to agree with John MacArthur as he is saying that our new self, given from God at salvation does not sin, but, and here is the rub, it is either the old self, (and I don’t think it is), or the flesh (and I think this is it who causes us to sin).  In Romans chapter seven Paul uses the word flesh four times and in verse 17and 18 he writes “17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not.”  Let us also look at verses 20-23, with the emphasis on verses 20 and 23 “20  But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.”

 

            MacArthur writes “In those texts Paul acknowledges that being a new self in the image of God does not eliminate sin.  It is still present in the flesh, the body, the unredeemed humanness that includes the whole human person’s thinking and behavior.  But he will not allow that new inner man to be given responsibility for sin.  The new ‘I’ loves and longs for the holiness and righteousness for which it was crested.” 

 

            Let us look now at Paul’s summary which is the dichotomy as he writes the following in Romans 7:24-25 “24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.”  This struggle that is going on inside of every believer prompts the anticipation for “the redemption of the body” which is described in Romans 8:23 “23  And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.”  “20  For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ; 21  who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory, by the exertion of the power that He has even to subject all things to Himself” (Phil. 3:20-21).

 

            John MacArthur concludes this section with a preview of what comes next in Ephesians:  “The remaining portions of the epistle contain exhortations to the believer to bring his body into obedience to the will of God.”

 

Scripture that goes with yesterday’s quotation:  “The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good” (Proverbs 15:3).

 

5/5/2019 11:16 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment