Wednesday, December 28, 2022

PT-1 "The Discipline of God's Children" (Matt. 18:15-20)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 12/28/2022 10:58 AM

 

My Worship Time                                 Focus:  PT-1 “Intro to The Discipline of God’s Children”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matt. 18:15-20

 

            Message of the verses:  15 "And if your brother sins, go and reprove him in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16  "But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that BY THE MOUTH OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES EVERY FACT MAY BE CONFIRMED. 17 “And if he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax-gatherer. 18  "Truly I say to you, whatever you shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 “Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20 "For where two or three have gathered together in My name, there I am in their midst.’”

 

            I want to say that this will be a very interesting subject to look at, and I have no idea how long this will take us to finish looking at these verses, but perhaps you will learn something that you did not know before.

 

            When God made the earth, putting man on it as His very last act of creation, and I am speaking about both man and woman when I say man.  He made mankind perfect in every way including making Adam and Eve holy before Him, having purity of life, and we all know that this was lost in the third chapter of Genesis.  Even though sin had entered the universe it was and still is God’s plan for His people to be holy and that He is grieved by sin of any kind.  We also know that Jesus Christ came to earth to die in our place in order that all those who accept His forgiveness will be born-again being then a part of the family of God.  However there is still the problem with sin as even the Apostle Paul spoke about this in the seventh chapter of Romans where he was saying that he was doing the things that he did not want to do and not doing the things that he wanted to do.  I think that all true born-again believers can understand what Paul went through, but it is still God’s desire that all of His children walk holy before Him.  Peter writes in 1 Peter 1:14-16 “14  As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, 15  but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; 16  because it is written, "YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY.’”

 

            We know that God is extremely concerned about the holiness of His people, thus we also should be concerned too about living a holy life before the Lord.  There is a problem that we see in mot churches in our country and I am talking about those who preach and teach holiness from the Word of God.  The problem is not that the preaching is bad or unscriptural, but that the follow up to the people is not what it is suppose to be.  I remember when I was going to the first church that I went to after becoming a believer, and it took me four years before I went to that church as all I can say is that God was very patient with me, but then His Spirit moved in my heart and the heart of my wife and we joined that church in Westlake, Ohio.  One of the things that I do remember is that there were a number of times when the church had to discipline a few of its members because of un-repented sin.  This is certainly not a fun time, but a necessary time as God’s Word teaches this.  The truth is that this was something that is not done much, if at all in churches today.  I can also remember that once we got another Pastor years later that it seemed to me that whenever he wanted to discipline someone it was to get even or even punish them, which is the exact opposite of what discipline is all about, as discipline it to bring a person or persons back into proper fellowship with those they have harmed and back in a right relationship with the Lord. 

 

            I will conclude this first SD on the intro to these verses with a quotation from John MacArthur’s commentary:  “The church has always had need for confronting sins of its people.  During its early days many foreign visitors to Palestine were converted to Christ and decided to stay in or near Jerusalem in order to enjoy the fellowship of believers there.  A large number of native Jewish converts there ostracized from their families and lost their jobs because of their new-found faith.  To help support those needy brothers and sisters, many of whom were virtually destitute, the believers who had property and possession sold them and gave the proceeds to the apostles, who distributed to each, as any had need (Acts 4:35).  That practice was the spontaneous reaction of generous Spirit-filled hearts to meet the practical needs of fellow Christians.”  Ok, many of you reading this know where we are going with this, but we will have to finish this in our next SD, and I think that you will understand why this story from the fourth chapter of Acts is in the introduction to Matthew 18:15-20.

 

12/28/2022 11:28 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment