Friday, April 6, 2012

Psalm 70 (Similar to Psalm 40:13-16)

2/9/2012 9:14:17 AM
SPIRITUAL DIARY
My Worship Time     Focus:  Trust God for All That Remains
Bible Reading & Meditation     Reference:  Psalm 40: 11-17
 Looking at the commentary from Dr. Wiersbe on Psalm 70 he states that it is nearly the same as Psalm 40: 13-16 and so I am looking at the commentary I did for those verses in Psalm 40:11-17 and will use them for Psalm 70:  “1 ¶  «For the choir director. A Psalm of David; for a memorial.» O God, hasten to deliver me; O LORD, hasten to my help! 2  Let those be ashamed and humiliated Who seek my life; Let those be turned back and dishonored Who delight in my hurt. 3  Let those be turned back because of their shame Who say, "Aha, aha!" 4  Let all who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; And let those who love Your salvation say continually, "Let God be magnified." 5  But I am afflicted and needy; Hasten to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay.”
Message of the verses:  “  11 ¶  You, O LORD, will not withhold Your compassion from me; Your lovingkindness and Your truth will continually preserve me. 12  For evils beyond number have surrounded me; My iniquities have overtaken me, so that I am not able to see; They are more numerous than the hairs of my head, And my heart has failed me. 13  Be pleased, O LORD, to deliver me; Make haste, O LORD, to help me. 14  Let those be ashamed and humiliated together Who seek my life to destroy it; Let those be turned back and dishonored Who delight in my hurt. 15  Let those be appalled because of their shame Who say to me, "Aha, aha!" 16  Let all who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; Let those who love Your salvation say continually, "The LORD be magnified!" 17  Since I am afflicted and needy, Let the Lord be mindful of me. You are my help and my deliverer; Do not delay, O my God.”
 I mentioned in the last SD that I felt I would be able to finish the commentary on Psalm 40, but I was not able to complete it and so in today’s SD we will look at the last seven verses of the psalm and in Warren Wiersbe’s commentary he entitles this last section “Trust God for all that remains.” 
 We see worship of the Lord in this section, and David truly knew what it meant to worship the Lord.  David was a man who had a sensitive conscience and realized that he was a sinful man.  I for one completely understand that.  Dr. Wiersbe writes of worship “Worship is not an escape from life but the opportunity to honor God and be equipped to face life and live for His glory.”  I like that statement about worship because of the truth that is found in it for I think that there have been times in my life when I have used worship to try and escape the world around me, and I suppose that is a good thing as long as my heart is in the right place.
 I see in verse eleven that David may have written this verse because of sin that he had confessed to the Lord and David knew that God would have compassion on him and that the lovingkindness of the Lord would always preserve David. 
 Again we see in verse twelve that David is speaking of his sin (iniquities) and has been overtaken by his sins.  There are many times in the life of a believer that the world, the flesh, and the devil are all trying to tempt you into sinning and then when you fall to the temptation the devil will cause you to have a guilty conscience.  This is a very vicious circle that one can get in and perhaps David was experiencing this very thing.  I have experienced this cycle recently and so these verses are comforting to me and also instructive for me.
 In verse thirteen David is asking the Lord to deliver him from what he is going through and from what he was saying in the previous verse it was probably sin that he was asking to be delivered from.
 In verses 14-15 David speaks of how his enemies have been trying to destroy him, so David was having trouble from within and also from those around him.
 In verse sixteen I see that David knows of the forgiveness and deliverance that God has given to him and so he encourages others because of what the Lord has done for him.  I see worship of the Lord in this section as David encourages others to worship.
Dr. Wiersbe writes this about verse seventeen:  “I-am—You are” (v.17) says it all.  The great I AM is adequate for every need.”  Of course Dr. Wiersbe is speaking of the LORD as being the great I AM.  We find this in Exodus 13  Then Moses said to God, "Behold, I am going to the sons of Israel, and I will say to them, ’The God of your fathers has sent me to you.’ Now they may say to me, ’What is His name?’ What shall I say to them?" 14  God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"; and He said, "Thus you shall say to the sons of Israel, ’I AM has sent me to you.’” 
 Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I can truly say that this section of Scripture has been very uplifting to me and has meant a need in my heart.  2Timothy 3:16-17 says:  “All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.”  Hebrews 4:12 says “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”  We see in these verses the power of God and His Word and this is what I needed this morning. 
My Steps of Faith for Today:
1. Continue to trust the Lord to meet the needs of my heart from His Word.
2. Continue to learn contentment through the circumstances of life.
2/9/2012 10:13:39 AM
 

No comments:

Post a Comment