Sunday, April 22, 2012

Asaph Makes a Decision (Psalm 77:10-12)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR
4/22/2012 8:50:00 AM
My Worship Time      Focus: Asaph Makes a Decision
Bible Reading & Meditation     Reference:  Psalm 77 PT-2
 Message of the verses:  We will take up where we left off from yesterday’s SD when we looked at the introduction and the first nine verses of Psalm 77.  Dr. Wiersbe wrote the following at the end of his introduction:  “In this psalm, he described how he moved from disappointment and despair to confidence that the Lord would care for His People.”
 The Dawn of Decision (vv. 10-12):  “10  Then I said, "It is my grief, That the right hand of the Most High has changed."  11  I shall remember the deeds of the LORD; Surely I will remember Your wonders of old. 12  I will meditate on all Your work And muse (ponder) on Your deeds.”
 “10 And I said, “This is my fate; the Most High has turned his hand against me.’’  11 But then I recall all you have done, O LORD; I remember your wonderful deeds of long ago. 12  They are constantly in my thoughts.  I cannot stop thinking about your mighty works.”
 Whenever we come to a crisis in life there are times when we feel sorry for ourselves and we wonder how the Lord could allow such things to come into our lives.  We read in 1Thes. 5:16-22 the following words that Paul penned in order to help us in times of trouble:  “16 Rejoice always; 17  pray without ceasing; 18  in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 19  Do not quench the Spirit; 20  do not despise prophetic utterances. 21  But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; 22  abstain from every form of evil.”  When we read these words and do as the psalmist did and remember what the Lord has already done for us and promised to continue to do, like the best thing that has ever happened to us, the salvation of our souls, and the promise of eternal life in heaven with the Lord.  When we think on these things then it is like shaking ourselves out of the pity we are in and again begin to trust the Lord.
 We read in verse ten that Asaph wrote “It is my grief, that the right hand of the Most High as changed,” but this is not true for God does not change and this was evidence that Asaph was feeling sorry for himself, for it says in 1Samuel 15:29 “"Also the Glory of Israel will not lie or change His mind; for He is not a man that He should change His mind.’”  However Asaph was right when he abandoned his former posture of doubt and determined to see the matter through not matter what happened.  When he decided to begin to meditate on the former things that God had done this was the beginning of having his mind changed to the right things.
 Spiritual meaning for my life today:  What I have learned from this section is very important, and that is that when trouble comes and trouble seems to know where I live lately, I am to give thanks, rejoice because of the fact that God is in control, and God does not change His mind, so the things that I read in the Scriptures are true and trustworthy.  Then I am to think about the things that God has done in the past, especially the day when I was saved from my sin and my sins and turned to the Lord seeking His mercy and grace, confessing my sins before Him and inviting Him into my life to be my Savior and Lord.  I can think of how the Lord has used me to tell others about His saving grace and they too have become believers.  I can think about His promise to never leave me nor forsake me and to one day take me home to be with Him forever.  What wonderful promises to behold.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  To truly be a thankful person.  To be a person who trust the Lord fully knowing that He never changes.  To remember that the crisis of life help me to grow in my walk with the Lord and teach me contentment.
4/22/2012 9:26:01 AM
  

No comments:

Post a Comment