Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Change and Changeless (Psalm 119:89-96)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/11/2012 9:00:44 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  Change & Changeless

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                      Reference:  Psalm 119:89-96

 

            Message of the verses:  “89 ¶  Lamedh. Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven.

90  Your faithfulness continues throughout all generations; You established the earth, and it stands. 91  They stand this day according to Your ordinances, For all things are Your servants. 92  If Your law had not been my delight, Then I would have perished in my affliction. 93 I will never forget Your precepts, For by them You have revived me. 94 I am Yours, save me; For I have sought Your precepts. 95 The wicked wait for me to destroy me; I shall diligently consider Your testimonies. 96 I have seen a limit to all perfection; Your commandment is exceedingly broad.”

 

            Dr. Wiersbe writes the following at the end of his introductory commentary on this section of Psalm 119:89-96:  “The psalmist made some wonderful affirmations, which if heeded, will anchor us to the eternal and enable us to be used of God during these turbulent times.”  Change and changeless is the theme of this section and change is something that most people do not want, for they love to stay in their “comfort zone.”  Change is something that God will bring into our lives in order to get us moving for the cause of Christ, whether it is a change that will cause some kind of trouble in our live where we will then be forced to look up in order to began to grow again in our walk with the Lord which will then bring glory to the Lord.  However if we do not change we will not grow in the Lord for Paul writes these words to show us the need for change: “2Co 3:18  But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as from the Lord, the Spirit.”

 

            God’s Word is settled (v. 89):  “. Forever, O LORD, Your word is settled in heaven.”

            The Word of God has been under attack since Satan first said to Eve, “Indeed, has God said.”  In the United States today, a country that was founded on the principles of Scripture, and people first came here in order to get away from a society where there was religious persecution, we are now almost as the same place where the people were when they first came here from Europe and it is because the Word of God is under attack, but the Word of God is settled in heaven and will never change.  These people who are attacking the Word of God will change their minds in a hundred years or so when they have to stand before their maker.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “Though born in eternity, God’s Word is rooted in history and speaks to every generation that will listen.”  “Build your life on the Word of God and you will weather all the changes of life!”

 

            God is faithful (v. 90a):  “90  Your faithfulness continues throughout all generations.”

            Psalm 90 speaks about the eternal God and the changes of life, but God does not change and God is always faithful to His children.  When we read in the Scriptures that God is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob we remember that these three men were very different, and yet God is still their God despite their differences, and this gives us confidence that we can commit ourselves, our children, our grand-children, and great grand-children to God who is faithful and changeless.

 

            God’s creation is established (vv. 90b-91):  “You established the earth, and it stands. 91  They stand this day according to Your ordinances, For all things are Your servants.”

            In God’s Word we learn of the creation of earth along with all of the stars and we also learn that until God purifies the earth and all the stars with fire that His creation will stand.  Genesis speaks of God’s creation and that God created the earth by His Word as He spoke it into existence and 2Peter 3 along with Revelations 21-22 speak of God un-creating the worlds and then creating a new heaven and earth along with the New Jerusalem.

            In the book of Matthew, Jesus says as He speaks of the end times states “Mt 24:22  "Unless those days had been cut short, no life would have been saved; but for the sake of the elect those days will be cut short.”

 

            God’s peace is available (vv. 92-95):  “. 92  If Your law had not been my delight, Then I would have perished in my affliction. 93 I will never forget Your precepts, For by them You have revived me. 94 I am Yours, save me; For I have sought Your precepts. 95 The wicked wait for me to destroy me; I shall diligently consider Your testimonies.”

            The Bible is a book not to be read in order for us to escape the reality of life, but a book to go to in order to be strengthened as we go through changes that we face.  Dr. Wiersbe points out that “The verb ‘sought out’ in verse 94 means ‘to consult, to inquire, to beat a path, to read repeatedly.’  Here is a believer who beat a path to the Bible, read it over and over, studied it, and when he had to make a decision, consulted it carefully.  Philosophies change, political expedients fail, promises and contracts are broken, but the Word of God still stands.”

 

            God wants us to get out of our rut (v. 96):  “96 I have seen a limit to all perfection; Your commandment is exceedingly broad.”

            96 ¶  I see the limits to everything human, but the horizons can’t contain your commands! (Message)

            I think that the Message helps us to understand this verse better, for we can see that there is really no perfection outside of God and His Word.  What we do as humans is limited because of our limited minds, strength, and ability, but God is all powerful, and all wise. 

            Solomon wrote the following many times in the book of Ecclesiastes “Vanity of vanities, all is vanity!”  In writing this he was speaking of human achievements, but at the end of the book he got it right when he wrote, “The conclusion, when all has been heard, is: fear God and keep His commandments, because this applies to every person.”

            Dr. Wiersbe concludes his commentary on this section by writing “Why should God’s people stay in a rut when the Word of God is so boundless and there are no limits to what He can do!  We may not like all the changes going on in the world, but we need not be frustrated and afraid.  Although the news coverage was not as good, the situation was not much different in the days of the apostles, and they turned the world upside down!  God is on the throne; He holds the world in His hands; His promises can never fail; so, let’s get moving.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I suppose that I am a person that likes change more than most people do, and I suppose that is the way that God made me, but to realize that change in my life is in the control of my Savior is the best news that I can have.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Contentment in changes is something that I must learn, and the study of God’s Word is the best way to learn it.

 

Memory verses for the week:  1Cor. 13:1-4

 

1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love it profits me nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant,

 

9/11/2012 10:28:13 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment