Thursday, September 20, 2012

Strength for the Journey (Psalm 119:153-160)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/20/2012 9:27:45 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  Strength for the Journey

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                      Reference:  Psalm 119:153-160

 

            Message of the verses:  “153 ¶  Resh. Look upon my affliction and rescue me, For I do not forget Your law. 154 Plead my cause and redeem me; Revive me according to Your word. 155 Salvation is far from the wicked, For they do not seek Your statutes. 156 Great are Your mercies, O LORD; Revive me according to Your ordinances. 157 Many are my persecutors and my adversaries, Yet I do not turn aside from Your testimonies. 158 I behold the treacherous and loathe them, Because they do not keep Your word. 159 Consider how I love Your precepts; Revive me, O LORD, according to Your lovingkindness. 160 The sum of Your word is truth, And every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting.”

 

            We are getting to the end of Psalm 119, and it has been a great journey for us to go on, but the psalmist is realizing that as he nears the end of the Hebrew alphabet that his trials would continue, and so will ours.  The psalmist still needs help from the Lord as he goes through trials, and he will draw that strength from God’s Law.  Dr. Wiersbe states that the Christian life is like the land of Canaan, for we read in Deuteronomy 11:11 these words, “’But the land into which you are about to cross to possess it, a land of hills and valleys, drinks water from the rain of heaven.’”  (Italics added)  Yes the Christian life is full of hills and valleys as we go to mountain top experiences and then are plunged down into the valleys of life, but God is always the same and His Word is always the same.  One of the most dangerous times in the life of the believer is after a mountain top experience, and we have to remember this so that we are not defeated after a mountain top experience.  I can say been there done that.

            We see a key phrase in this section that we have seen before and that phrase is “revive me.”  Dr Wiersbe points out that this word means “give me life, lift me up and keep me going.”  We as believers need to be revived many times in our walk with the Lord and we must remember the statement from an old Scottish Pastor who stated that “The successful Christian life is a series of new beginnings.”  Revival is a necessary part of those new beginnings.

 

            Revive me, for you are my Redeemer (vv. 153-155):  “Look upon my affliction and rescue me, For I do not forget Your law. 154 Plead my cause and redeem me; Revive me according to Your word. 155 Salvation is far from the wicked, For they do not seek Your statutes.”

            One way to better understand the Bible is to look at a concordance like the “Strongs Concordance,” where you can look up a word and see how it is used in different part of the Bible.  I am going to copy and paste verse 153 including the Strongs numbers and then copy and past Genesis 22:8 the same way.  “Look <07200> upon my affliction <06040> and rescue <02502> me, For I do not forget <07911> Your law <08451>.”  “Abraham <085> said <0559>, "God <0430> will provide <07200> for Himself the lamb <07716> for the burnt <05930> offering <05930>, my son <01121>." So the two <08147> of them walked <01980> on together <03164>.”  We see the number 07200 in both verses and this helps us to understand what the psalmist is saying to the Lord.  The meaning of the word is “The Lord will see to it, and that is what Abraham is saying to his son Isaac when he asks where the sacrifice is that they were going to sacrifice to the Lord.  We know that our Lord not only sees our afflictions but will see to them, providing what is needed.  Now let us look at verse 154 and look at the word redeem: “to redeem, act as kinsman-redeemer, avenge, revenge, ransom, do the part of a kinsman.”   We know this word from the book of Ruth as Boaz was the kinsman-redeemer for Ruth, but we also know this word in the NT as Jesus Christ is our kinsman as he entered into the human family and in the crucifixion Jesus paid the price to redeem us from sin, death, and hell. The words plead [defend] my cause ties in with the Lord Jesus Christ as our Kinsman Redeemer and He is also our Surety as seen in verse 122:  “Be surety for Your servant for good; Do not let the arrogant oppress me.”  Jesus is our Mediator, and He is our Advocate, who represents us before the throne of God (1John 2:1-2):  “1 ¶  My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2  and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world.”  Just as the psalmist knew that in his affliction the Lord would hear his prayer and intercede for him, we can have that assurance too.

 

            Revive me, for you are merciful (vv. 156-158):  “. 156 Great are Your mercies, O LORD; Revive me according to Your ordinances. 157 Many are my persecutors and my adversaries, Yet I do not turn aside from Your testimonies. 158 I behold the treacherous and loathe them, Because they do not keep Your word.”

            If we prayed to God on our own merit we would not get to far, but Jesus told His disciples and they passed it on to us that we are to pray in the name of Jesus and we are also to pray in the help of the Spirit.  “John 15:16, “’You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.’”  Romans 8:26-27, “26 ¶  In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; 27  and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.”

            We see in this section that the psalmist was still disgusted with the way the unbelievers were living, yet their bad habits did not change his own convictions, and that is something that we need to remember when we see all the things that are going on in our country today.

 

            Revive me, for Your Word can be trusted (vv. 159-160):  “159 Consider how I love Your precepts; Revive me, O LORD, according to Your lovingkindness. 160 The sum of Your word is truth, And every one of Your righteous ordinances is everlasting.”

            We see the wonderful promise of verse 160 stating that God’s Word can be trusted, and that is because God can be trusted.  Dr. Wiersbe states “The totality of God’s written revelation is not just true—it is truth.”  He goes on to state “The Bible is not a magic book that conveys divine life to anyone who picks it up and reads it.  God’s living Word communicates His life and power to those who read it, meditate on it, and obey it because the love God and His Word.  When Jesus raised the dead, it was through speaking the Word (Luke 7:11-17; 8:40-56; John 11:38-44; see John 5:24), and His Word give us life today when we find ourselves in the dust (25).”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  There are times in my life, and I suppose the in the lives of others when we look for truth.  Pilate looked for truth when Jesus was on trial before Him, and the sad fact is that he was looking Truth right in the face.  I can know for certain that when I read the Word of God that it is not just true, but it is Truth.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Remember that the Word of God is not just true, but is the Truth.

 

Memory verses for the week:  1Cor. 13:1-7

 

            1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong, or a clanging cymbal.  2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.  3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love it profits me nothing.

            4 Love is patient, love is kind, and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, 5 does not act unbecomingly, it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into an account a wrong suffered, 6 does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth, 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

 

9/20/2012 10:48:26 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment