Monday, March 3, 2014

Ignoring God's Warnings PT-2 (Jeremiah 13:1-11)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/3/2014 8:56 AM
My Worship Time                                                              Focus:  Ignoring God’s Warnings PT-2
Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Jeremiah 13:1-11
            Message of the verses:  We will look at the second vivid image that depicts the judgment that was about to fall upon the nation of Judah.
The Marred Waistcloth (Jeremiah 13:1-11):  “1 Thus the LORD said to me, "Go and buy yourself a linen waistband and put it around your waist, but do not put it in water." 2 So I bought the waistband in accordance with the word of the LORD and put it around my waist. 3 Then the word of the LORD came to me a second time, saying, 4 “Take the waistband that you have bought, which is around your waist, and arise, go to the Euphrates and hide it there in a crevice of the rock." 5 So I went and hid it by the Euphrates, as the LORD had commanded me. 6 After many days the LORD said to me, "Arise, go to the Euphrates and take from there the waistband which I commanded you to hide there." 7 Then I went to the Euphrates and dug, and I took the waistband from the place where I had hidden it; and lo, the waistband was ruined, it was totally worthless. 8 Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 9 “Thus says the LORD, ’Just so will I destroy the pride of Judah and the great pride of Jerusalem. 10  ’This wicked people, who refuse to listen to My words, who walk in the stubbornness of their hearts and have gone after other gods to serve them and to bow down to them, let them be just like this waistband which is totally worthless. 11  ’For as the waistband clings to the waist of a man, so I made the whole household of Israel and the whole household of Judah cling to Me,’ declares the LORD, ’that they might be for Me a people, for renown, for praise and for glory; but they did not listen.’”
            I want to begin with an endnote from Warren Wiersbe which will help explain the possible destination to which Jeremiah went to bury the waistcloth.  “The big question to this ‘action sermon’ is, where did it take place?  The Euphrates was 350 miles from Anathoth, and that would mean four journeys of four months each for the prophet (Ezra 7:8-9). Could he make four such trips during such turbulent times?  And how significant would his actions be to the people of Judah if he performed them hundreds of miles away?  The Hebrew text of Jeremiah 13:4 reads Perath, which is the Hebrew word for the Euphrates, but some scholars think it refers to the town of Parah about three miles from Anathoth (Josh. 18:23), or that perhaps it is an abbreviation for Ehprata, the name of Bethlehem, located only five or six miles from Jerusalem.  However, if Jeremiah did travel twice to Babylon it would have made a tremendous impression on the people of Judah when he returned home with his ruined garment.  He then could have preached the message that the garment symbolized.”  I am glad for this endnote because I was wondering whether or not Jeremiah had gone all the way to Babylon, but if he did I can see why it happened because it would be Babylon that will conquer Judah. 
            Dr. Wiersbe writes that “the waistcloth was a thigh-length undergarment worn next to the skin.  This represents the fact that God had brought the nation close to Him, and now the nation had rebelled against Him and so their relation was ruined, but we must not forget the long-suffering of the Lord, and the long-suffering of the Lord is an attribute of the Lord that deals with the sins that people commit against Him. 
            As we look a little deeper into this action sermon of Jeremiah we can see one other thing and that was that the people of Judah and also Israel before them had put their trust in the other nations around them to get them out of the mess that their sin had caused them.  This was not pleasing to the Lord, as He desires his people to depend upon Him. 
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Depending upon the Lord in situations is a subject that has a bit of mystery to me in the day and age we live in.  I believe that there are times when the Lord puts me in a position when the only thing that I can do is totally depend upon Him.  There are times to my disgrace that I depend upon the gifts of the Giver than depend upon the Giver of the gifts. 
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trusting the Lord to give me direction in my life everyday is what I desire for Him to do, for His Word says “5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.”  I must remember to acknowledge all things to Him and that is difficult to do at times.
Memory verses for the week:  Philippians 2:5-8
5 Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but emptied Himself, taking on the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 
Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Can anything good come out of Nazareth” (John 1:46).”
Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘"May your silver perish with you, because you thought you could obtain the gift of God with money?’”
Answer in our next SD.

3/3/2014 10:25 AM 

No comments:

Post a Comment