Friday, March 7, 2014

Ignoring God's Warnings PT-VI (Jeremiah 13:21)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 03/07/14

My Worship Time Focus:  Ignoring God's Warnings PT-8

Bible Reading & Meditation Reference:  Jeremiah 13:21

Message of the verses:  We will only be looking at one verse in today's SD and I am typing this from my IPad because my computer is not working and is being repaired at this point.

The Woman of Travail (Jeremiah 13:21):
"What will you say when they set as head over you
those whom you yourself have taught to be friends to you?
 Will not pangs take hold of you
like those of a woman in labor?"

As we look at this passage we see the image of a woman who is about to give birth, and this symbol is often given as a sign of judgment in the Scriptures.  We will look at a few of them as we begin this SD.

Jeremiah 4:31
For I heard a cry as of a woman in labor,
anguish as of one giving birth to her first child,
the cry of the daughter of Zion gasping for breath,
 stretching out her hands,
“ Woe is me! I am fainting before murderers.”

Jeremiah 6:24
We have heard the report of it;
 our hands fall helpless;
anguish has taken hold of us,
 pain as of a woman in labor.

Jeremiah 22:23
O inhabitant of Lebanon,
nested among the cedars,
how you will be pitied when pangs come upon you,
 pain as of a woman in labor!”

Jeremiah 30:6
Ask now, and see,
can a man bear a child?
 Why then do I see every man
with his hands on his stomach like a woman in labor?
 Why has every face turned pale?

Jeremiah 49:24
Damascus has become feeble, she turned to flee,
and panic seized her;
anguish and sorrows have taken hold of her,
as of a woman in labor.

Jeremiah 50:43
“The king of Babylon heard the report of them,
and his hands fell helpless;
anguish seized him,
pain as of a woman in labor.

1 Thessalonians 5:3
While people are saying, “There is peace and security,” then sudden destruction will come upon them as labor pains come upon a pregnant woman, and they will not escape.

The problem as we see it in Jeremiah 13:21 is that the people of Judah have been looking to the Babylonians for help instead of looking to The Lord for help as they should have been doing and not these so called "friends" of theirs are going to be ruling over them, and they will cry out to The Lord for help as their ancestors did as seen in the book of Judges.  Judah's friends are not their enemies.

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have heard sermons on keeping a short list with The Lord and this means that when I sin I am to confess my sin to The Lord seeking forgiveness as 1 John 1:9 speaks of.  When you don't keep a short list with The Lord you can end up being disciplined by Him as we read about in Hebrews chapter twelve.  The people of Judah in Jeremiah's day were proud and did not think that The Lord would discipline them, but He did.  Pride is something that God hates.  My memory verses for the time comes from Philippines and it speaks of the great humility of our Lord Jesus Christ.  I am memorizing it so that when I see pride in my life I can remember the humility of my Lord.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Keep a short list with The Lord.

Memory verses for the week:  Philippians 2:5-8

5 Have this attitude in yourself which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped 7 but emptied Himself, taking on the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.  8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Answer to yesterday's Bible question:  "Revelation."

Today's Bible question:  "On what day was the passover animal to be taken from the flock?"

Answer in our next SD.

No comments:

Post a Comment