Thursday, April 24, 2014

Paul Knows his Enemy (1 Thessalonians 2:18b)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/24/2014 9:40 AM

My Worship Time                                                                           Focus:  Paul Knows his Enemy

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  1 Thess. 2:18b

            Message of the verses:  “and yet Satan hindered us.”

            I am not sure how much we have looked at the activities of Satan in the SD’s that I have posted, but let just say this:  Satan is a real being who was the first being that ever sinned against God.  He is a created being that fell, and pride was his sin as we read about his fall in two places in the OT.  “13 “But you said in your heart, ’I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God, And I will sit on the mount of assembly In the recesses of the north. 14 ’I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will make myself like the Most High’ (Isaiah 14:13-14).”  The prophet Ezekiel also speaks of his fall in chapter 28 and verses 1-10.  Ezekiel speaks about the leader of Tyre, but actually is speaking of Satan.

            John MacArthur begins his commentary on this section with these words: “A second reality that Paul understood well in his ministry and relationship with the Thessalonians was that he faced satanic opposition.  He had the spiritual discernment and understanding to realize that God has allowed Satan to oppose the kingdom of God in a variety of ways.  Scripture mentions many of them:  the devil tempted Christ (Matt. 4:3-10); he opposes the gospel (Matt. 13:19; 2 Cor. 4:4); he performs counterfeit miracles (Ex. 7:11; Acts 8:9-24; 13:8; cf. 2 Thess. 2:9; Rev. 16:14); he seeks to deceive believers (2 Cor. 11:3, 14; Eph. 6:11); he perpetrates lies and murders (1 Kings 22:22; John 8:44); he attacks individual churches (Acts 5:1-11; Rev. 2:9, 13, 24; 3:9); and he especially attacks spiritual leaders (Job 1:6-2:8; Luke 22:31-23; 2 Cor. 12:7-9; 1 Tim. 3:7).  The New Testament reports that he was present at the churches of Jerusalem (Acts 5:1-10), Corinth (2 Cor. 2:1-11), Ephesus (1 Tim. 3:6-7), Smyrna (Rev. 2:9-10), Pergamum (2:13), Thyatira (2:24), and Philadelphia (3:9).”

            Perhaps this is a good time to talk about the many books that are out on the market today that speak of people going to heaven and then returning.  I have read several of these books, and my conclusion is that perhaps these books are being used by the enemy to, at least take believers minds off of the things that they should be studying.  I have heard John MacArthur speak briefly about these books and his opinion is that they are not real, and I have to agree with this.

            We will end this portion of this SD by talking about the word hindered.  Warren Wiersbe writes “Paul made every effort possible to return to them, though Satan was ‘breaking up the road and putting up obstacles’ (literal meaning of ‘hindered’ in 1 Thess. 2:18).”  Paul does not mention how Satan was hindering him, but he knew that he was.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  One of the first times that I got to speak in a church service was when my wife and I were living in Aruba.  God had given me a message a few months earlier and the message that He gave to me was on the spiritual battle that we as believers face.  My computer had a virus in it and my son-in-law came to help me with it.  As he was doing this I began to think about how we can take measures to help stop a computer of getting a virus and this I equated in a Spiritual way in our battle with our enemy, Satan.  An example having a program on your computer that will help stop a virus, an anti virus program and this would equate with putting on the spiritual armor in the morning.  There are other things we can do like to know our Bible which tells us how we are being opposed by the enemy.  One thing for sure is that Satan was tempted and attacked by Satan and so will believers.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Put on the Spiritual Armor as described in Ephesians chapter six.

Memory verse for the week:  Galatians 2:20

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me, and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Because he will be filled” (Luke 2:21).

Today’s Bible question:  “According to 1 Thessalonians 4:18 what should Christians do concerning His coming?”

Answer in our next SD.

4/24/2014 10:32 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment