Friday, April 25, 2014

Paul Talks about Believer's Rewards from 1 Thess. 2:19-20


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/25/2014 9:00 AM

My Worship Time                                                      Focus:  Paul talks about Believer’s Rewards

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  1 Thess. 2:19-20

             Message of the verses:  As I began to read the two different commentaries on this section, one from John MacArthur, and one from Warren Wiersbe I decided to make two different Spiritual Diaries on these two verses.  I will quote from Warren Wiersbe’s commentary in this Spiritual Diary and then look at the verses through the eyes of John MacArthur in our next Spiritual Diary.  I left for Cape Canaveral Florida on the last day of March and my wife flew down the next day so that we could get away from the cold weather in Ohio for a while.  I intended to bring my commentary on the book of Jeremiah with me but forgot it and that is one reason why I have taken most of this month looking at 1 Thessalonians chapter two.  Our month in the sun is almost over and so when we get back to Ohio I will then, Lord willing, go back to looking at the book of Jeremiah along with looking at the third chapter of 1 Thessalonians.  I am glad for the break of just looking at the Old Testament, as I have been studying it since December 30, 2005.  I felt very strongly that God wanted me to study 1 Thessalonians as a secondary study that I have been doing since first looking at the book of Mark in December of 2011.  After that my secondary book was the book of Daniel, and now I am looking at 1 Thessalonians to be followed by 2 Thessalonians.  Whether or not I get through a chapter each month is very doubtful as this study is more intense than that of Mark and Daniel.  We will see how it works out, but for now we will continue to look at the second chapter and then move into the third chapter until I get home and then pick up Jeremiah again. 

            “19  For who is our hope or joy or crown of exultation? Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming? 20  For you are our glory and joy.”

            Dr. Wiersbe points out that it is not a sure thing that Paul is speaking about rewards from these two verses, but it is a good time to look at the rewards that believers can obtain while in the body living on planet earth.  Perhaps the subject of rewards comes from the games that were played in the different cities during the life time of the Apostle Paul.  He uses this metaphor in several of his letters as he talks about crowns that fade away as opposed to crowns that will last.  My view on crowns is that once a person becomes a believer they are given different gifts to accomplish the things that God has called for them to accomplish.  Ephesians 2:10 says “For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.”  My belief from the teaching of the Scriptures is that all believers are to use the gifts that God has given them for the cause of Christ and if we yield to the Holy Spirit to have Him work through us to accomplish these works that the Father has given us to do then we will receive rewards for them and one day after the Lord returns and all believers come to the Lambs Supper in heaven we who have crowns will through them down at His feet because we realize that if it were not for Christ we would not have been able to receive these crowns.  Now with this said I believe that all believers are to be witnesses for the Lord Jesus Christ telling unbelievers that Christ died for their sins and that they must accept this gift of salvation in order to be saved and to begin their eternal life and then go to heaven to be with the Lord either at the Rapture of when the Lord calls you home through death, or as Paul’s describe it as sleep.

            Dr. Wiersbe in describing the soul winners crown writes “There is a special joy and reward for the soul winner (Dan. 12:3),”  “"Those who have insight will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead the many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.’”

            He goes on to write:  “There is also a crown for the believer who subdues his body and keeps it controlled for the glory of God (1 Cor. 9:24-27).   Self-control s produced by the Spirit (Gal. 5:23).  Since our bodies are God’s temples, we must be careful not to defile them.  The ultimate in giving the body to God is dying for His sake; and for this there is a crown (Rev. 2:10).  Those who lovingly look for Chris’s appearing will receive the ‘crown of righteousness’ (2 Timothy 4:8).  The faithful pastor can anticipate the ‘crown of glory’ (1 Peter 5:4).”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I can think of nothing that can make me happier than to lead someone to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.  It is with great joy that I tell others about the way of salvation.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I desire to have the opportunity to tell someone about how they can spend eternal life with Jesus Christ today:  A divine appointment.

Memory verse for the week:  Galatians 2:20

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me;  and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me. 

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Comfort one another with these words.”

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘Suffer little children to come unto me?’”

Answer in our next SD.

4/25/2014 10:17 AM

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment