Saturday, August 16, 2014

Joyfulness (1 Thess. 5:16)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/16/2014 10:02 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                               Focus:  Joyfulness

Bible Reading & Meditation                                          Reference:  1 Thessalonians 5:16

            Message of the verses:  “16 Rejoice always;”

            Paul is writing to the Thessalonians on what is needed to make a healthy church, and we have already looked at long-suffering in our last SD from verse fourteen, and now we will look at joy, and then peace, and love, now all four of these can be found in the fruit of the Spirit from Galatians 5:22.  Warren Wiersbe writes “Family partnership is vital to the health and growth of the church.  Are you bearing your share of the burdens, or are you merely a spectator who watches the others do the job?”  Being a part of the local church is being a part of a family, a family that will always be together when all is said and done, for Paul has already written about the Rapture of the church which takes all true believers to be with the Lord in their new bodies in heaven, so we have that promise to look forward to, and so we need to live our lives in a way that is pleasing to the Lord and good for the other members of our true family.

            I listened to a sermon that John MacArthur has on this one verse and near the beginning of the message he said the following about joy:  “The discussion of Christian joy is, of course, crucial and essential to all of us who name the name of Jesus Christ.  Much can be said, much should be said, much has been said.  But I want to begin our study today with a statement that might surprise you.  In fact, it may appear hard if not impossible to believe.  Then I want to tell you why that statement is true and teach you it significance and its application.  Here is the statement.  ‘There is not even t or circumstance that can occur in the life of any Christian that should diminish that Christian’s joy.’  Let me say that again, ‘There is not even tor circumstance that can occur in the life oa any Christian that should diminish that Christian’s joy.’       

            “In fact, let me go even further than that.  If there is an event or circumstance apart from sin that does diminish your joy, you have sinned.  Does that sound ridiculous given the woes and the pains and the difficulties of life?  Nevertheless, no matter how it sounds the command of Scripture is explicit, rejoice..how often?...always. Any failure to do that constitutes disobedience and sin.  Therefore we can say that there is no even tor circumstance that can occur in the life of any Christian that should diminish that Christian’s joy.  It will if we react improperly to it.”

            Now I want to skip ahead in this sermon to give the important definition:  “Now listen very carefully, this is the heart of what I’m going to say.  Here is the definition.  Christian joy is the emotion springing from the deep-down confidence of the Christian that God is in perfect control.  Let me say that much again.  Christian joy is the emotion springing from the deep-down confidence of the Christian that God is in perfect control of everything and will bring from it our good in time and our glory eternity.”  Now I will again skip ahead to the following “Christian joy is not an emotion on top of an emotion.  It is not a feeling on top of a feeling.  It is a feeling on top of a fact.  It is an emotional response to what I know to be true about my God.  That’s the substance of it.  All of us should be in the habit of constantly expressing joyful wonder when we contemplate the unchanging eternal relationship with God that we have through the Lord Jesus Christ.”

            My goal in doing these Spiritual Diaries is to better understand the Word of God and if I better understand the Word of God then I can better understand the God of the Word, and that is why I study the Word of God and why I read different commentators who help me with this goal.  John MacArthur took 45 years in his church to teach his congregation what is written in the New Testament, and Warren Wiersbe has written a commentary on very book in the Bible and that is why I look to these two men for the help that I need.

            We have mentioned that three of the four items mentioned are a part of the fruit of the Spirit and when we include longsuffering from verse fourteen we have all four of them, now there is an old hymn that includes three of these qualities that we will be looking at in verses 15-17, and I want to quote this song. 

 

  1. Take my life and let it be
    Consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
    *Take my moments and my days,
    Let them flow in endless praise.
  2. Take my hands and let them move
    At the impulse of Thy love.
    Take my feet and let them be
    Swift and beautiful for Thee.
  3. Take my voice and let me sing,
    Always, only for my King.
    Take my lips and let them be
    Filled with messages from Thee.
  4. Take my silver and my gold,
    Not a mite would I withhold.
    Take my intellect and use
    Every pow’r as Thou shalt choose.
  5. Take my will and make it Thine,
    It shall be no longer mine.
    Take my heart, it is Thine own,
    It shall be Thy royal throne.
  6. Take my love, my Lord, I pour
    At Thy feet its treasure store.
    Take myself and I will be
    Ever, only, all for Thee
    .

There is one more thing that I want to be reminded of as I finish this part of this SD and that is to remember that joy is not like happiness, for we can be joyful without being happy, and the way we can do this is to remember who is in charge, and that is the God of the universe who loves us so much that He sent His One and only Son into the world to bring us back into fellowship with God by caring for the sin problem that all of us have.  If He is so great and loving to do this then we can trust Him throughout the difficult circumstances that we go through. 

Studying joy before I learned that joy is Jesus first, others second and yourself last.  Not sure that I totally agree with that being a great definition, but there is truth in it.

Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I surely desire to live my life where I rejoice always in all circumstances, knowing that there are difficult times that I have already went through and perhaps more to come.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Remember contentment is a part of being joyful.

Memory verses for the week:  Colossians 3:1-5.

1 Therefore if we have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  Set you mind on things above, not on the things that are on earth.  3 For you died and you life is hidden with Christ in God.  4 When Christ, who is our life, is revealed, then you also will be revealed with Him in glory.  5 Therefore consider the members of you earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Mars’ Hill” (Acts 17:22).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who led the children of Israel through the Jordan River?”

Answer in our next SD.

8/16/2014 10:54 AM  

 

           

No comments:

Post a Comment