Saturday, November 15, 2014

4th Action Sermon: "The Destiny of the People" PT-1 (Exe. 5:1-4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 11/15/2014 9:20 AM

My Worship Time                  Focus:  4th Action Sermon “The Destiny of the People” PT-1

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Ezekiel 5:1-17

            Message of the verses:  “1 “As for you, son of man, take a sharp sword; take and use it as a barber’s razor on your head and beard. Then take scales for weighing and divide the hair. 2 “One third you shall burn in the fire at the center of the city, when the days of the siege are completed. Then you shall take one third and strike it with the sword all around the city, and one third you shall scatter to the wind; and I will unsheathe a sword behind them. 3 “Take also a few in number from them and bind them in the edges of your robes. 4 “Take again some of them and throw them into the fire and burn them in the fire; from it a fire will spread to all the house of Israel.

    “5 "Thus says the Lord GOD, ’This is Jerusalem; I have set her at the center of the nations, with lands around her. 6  ’But she has rebelled against My ordinances more wickedly than the nations and against My statutes more than the lands which surround her; for they have rejected My ordinances and have not walked in My statutes.’ 7 “Therefore, thus says the Lord GOD, ’Because you have more turmoil than the nations which surround you and have not walked in My statutes, nor observed My ordinances, nor observed the ordinances of the nations which surround you,’ 8 therefore, thus says the Lord GOD, ’Behold, I, even I, am against you, and I will execute judgments among you in the sight of the nations. 9 ’And because of all your abominations, I will do among you what I have not done, and the like of which I will never do again. 10 ’Therefore, fathers will eat their sons among you, and sons will eat their fathers; for I will execute judgments on you and scatter all your remnant to every wind. 11 ’So as I live,’ declares the Lord GOD, ’surely, because you have defiled My sanctuary with all your detestable idols and with all your abominations, therefore I will also withdraw, and My eye will have no pity and I will not spare. 12  ’One third of you will die by plague or be consumed by famine among you, one third will fall by the sword around you, and one third I will scatter to every wind, and I will unsheathe a sword behind them. 13  ’Thus My anger will be spent and I will satisfy My wrath on them, and I will be appeased; then they will know that I, the LORD, have spoken in My zeal when I have spent My wrath upon them. 14 ’Moreover, I will make you a desolation and a reproach among the nations which surround you, in the sight of all who pass by. 15 ’So it will be a reproach, a reviling, a warning and an object of horror to the nations who surround you when I execute judgments against you in anger, wrath and raging rebukes. I, the LORD, have spoken. 16 ’When I send against them the deadly arrows of famine which were for the destruction of those whom I will send to destroy you, then I will also intensify the famine upon you and break the staff of bread. 17 ’Moreover, I will send on you famine and wild beasts, and they will bereave you of children; plague and bloodshed also will pass through you, and I will bring the sword on you. I, the LORD, have spoken.’"”

            As I look at these verses which consist of all of chapter five I think of some of the attributes of God that are seen in these words.  I think of God Sovereignty as He is the One who is working these things out for His glory even though to the reader and especially to those who took part of this it was surely not pleasant.  I think of God’s wrath as it is spoken of in this chapter.  I also think of God’s jealously that can be seen as Ezekiel is very upset over how the people had been worshiping other gods, and this was something that God hated.  What God hated Ezekiel hated, and this is how believers are to believe.  I suppose to a more trained eye that there are more of God’s attributes in this chapter, but these three stick out in my mind.

            In verse one we see that Ezekiel takes a sword and we can believe that he sharpened it as sharp as a razor in order to cut off his hair and also his beard, something that is spoken of in different areas of the Scripture.  “In that day the Lord will shave with a razor, hired from regions beyond the Euphrates (that is, with the king of Assyria), the head and the hair of the legs; and it will also remove the beard (Isa. 7:20).”  Shaving could be a part of a purification ritual:  “’All the days of his vow of separation no razor shall pass over his head. He shall be holy until the days are fulfilled for which he separated himself to the LORD; he shall let the locks of hair on his head grow long (Num. 6:5).”  “"Thus you shall do to them, for their cleansing: sprinkle purifying water on them, and let them use a razor over their whole body and wash their clothes, and they will be clean (Num. 8:7).”  As I look at these verse my mind goes to the book of Acts when I read the following:  “23 “Therefore do this that we tell you. We have four men who are under a vow; 24  take them and purify yourself along with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads; and all will know that there is nothing to the things which they have been told about you, but that you yourself also walk orderly, keeping the Law (Acts 21:23-24).”  Also look at Ac 18:18 Paul, having remained many days longer, took leave of the brethren and put out to sea for Syria, and with him were Priscilla and Aquila. In Cenchrea he had his hair cut, for he was keeping a vow.”  Cutting of the hair has different meanings that are found in the Scriptures.

            We are looking in this chapter what Steward Briscoe says “What a way to Shave.”  Yes this was truly a different way to cut one’s hair and beard, and what Ezekiel did with the hair after he cut it off is also different, but it is showing the exiles what was going to happen to the people who were living in Jerusalem.  He first of all weighed the hair very carefully, and then he put it in three piles.  The first part he burned by the siege brick which showed of those who would die of famine or pestilence in Jerusalem.  The second part of hair he cut up into small bits with his sword and this symbolizes those the Babylonian soldiers would kill.  Next he would throw the last part into the wind, but before he did this he put a small portion into his clothes.  The throwing to the wind of this part of his hair represented those who would be scattered away from Jerusalem, but the small part he put into his clothes would represent the remnant, something we see a lot of in Scripture.  “36 ’As for those of you who may be left, I will also bring weakness into their hearts in the lands of their enemies. And the sound of a driven leaf will chase them, and even when no one is pursuing they will flee as though from the sword, and they will fall. 37  ’They will therefore stumble over each other as if running from the sword, although no one is pursuing; and you will have no strength to stand up before your enemies. 38 ’But you will perish among the nations, and your enemies’ land will consume you. 39 ’So those of you who may be left will rot away because of their iniquity in the lands of your enemies; and also because of the iniquities of their forefathers they will rot away with them Lev. 26:36-39).”  Dr. Wiersbe writes “But Ezekiel 5:4 indicates that anyone who was spared must not take his or her safety for granted, for more fire could come out from God’s judgment of Jerusalem.  This prophecy was fulfilled in the days after the siege of the city when innocent Jewish people were killed by scheming criminals (Jer. 40-44).”

            I think it best that we look at the rest of this chapter in our next SD as there is quite a bit more to look at.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful to the Lord that He is in charge of human history and that from the study of His attributes I am learning to trust the Lord more and more.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Proverbs 3:5-6.

Memory verses for the week:  Colossians 3:10-11.

10  and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him- 11  a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Peter and John” (Luke 22:8).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said ‘He is not here; for He is risen, as He said.  Come see the place where the Lord lay’?”

Answer in our next SD.

11/15/2014 10:12 AM

           

No comments:

Post a Comment