Monday, May 18, 2015

The Witnesses' Identity (Rev. 11:4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/18/2015 9:08 AM

My Worship Time                                                                           Focus:  The Witnesses Identity

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Revelation 11:4

            Message of the verses:  “These are the two olive trees and the two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth.”

            I have just finished my Spiritual Diary on a section from the book of Ezekiel which speaks about the “prince” who is mentioned numerous times in the last chapters of the book of Ezekiel and just as these two witnesses is not identified by name and so we don’t know who he is or for that matter who these two witnesses are.  We can, I think, get a better understanding of who these two witnesses are by looking at some of the verses found in Revelation chapter eleven, but as for a positive identification we won’t have it.  John simply identifies them as “two olive trees and two lampstands that stand before the Lord of the earth” in our verse for today.

            John MacArthur writes “That enigmatic description is drawn from Zechariah 4:1-14:  “1 Then the angel who was speaking with me returned and roused me, as a man who is awakened from his sleep. 2 He said to me, "What do you see?" And I said, "I see, and behold, a lampstand all of gold with its bowl on the top of it, and its seven lamps on it with seven spouts belonging to each of the lamps which are on the top of it; 3 also two olive trees by it, one on the right side of the bowl and the other on its left side." 4 Then I said to the angel who was speaking with me saying, "What are these, my lord?" 5 So the angel who was speaking with me answered and said to me, "Do you not know what these are?" And I said, "No, my lord." 6 Then he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, ’Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit,’ says the LORD of hosts. 7 ’What are you, O great mountain? Before Zerubbabel you will become a plain; and he will bring forth the top stone with shouts of "Grace, grace to it!"’" 8 Also the word of the LORD came to me, saying, 9 “The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house, and his hands will finish it. Then you will know that the LORD of hosts has sent me to you. 10 “For who has despised the day of small things? But these seven will be glad when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel-these are the eyes of the LORD which range to and fro throughout the earth."

    11  Then I said to him, "What are these two olive trees on the right of the lampstand and on its left?" 12 And I answered the second time and said to him, "What are the two olive branches which are beside the two golden pipes, which empty the golden oil from themselves?" 13 So he answered me, saying, "Do you not know what these are?" And I said, "No, my lord." 14 Then he said, "These are the two anointed ones who are standing by the Lord of the whole earth."”

            As in the case of many of the prophecies of the Old Testament this prophecy had a near and a far reaching fulfillment to it.  The historical fulfillment was the building of the post-exilic temple by Joshua the high priest and also Zerubbabel who was a descendant of David and a political leader.

            John MacArthur explains “The olive trees and lampstands symbolize the light of revival, since olive oil was commonly used in lamps.  The connecting of the lamps to the trees is intended to depict a constant, spontaneous, automatic supply of oil flowing from the olive trees into the lamps.  That symbolizes the truth that God will not bring salvation blessing from human power, but by the power of the Holy Spirit (cf. Zec. 4:6).  Like Joshua and Zerubbable, the two witnesses will lead a spiritual revival of Israel culminating in the building of a temple.  Their preaching will be instrumental in Israel’s national conversion (Rev. 11:13; cf. Rom. 11:4-5, 26), and the temple associated with that conversion will be the millennial temple.”

            Now comes the time we have all been awaiting and that is who are these two prophets, something we cannot be perfectly sure of, but in his commentary John MacArthur gives four reasons why he believes that these men are Moses and Elijah.  This is not the first time that I have heard who these men are as in my early years as a Christian studying this book I came across the same idea.  Now I will briefly give these four reasons as to why it is believed that these men are Moses and Elijah and even add one more as a fifth reason not given by MacArthur.

            The first reason is from the miracles that these two men did in their ministry while on the earth as they go along with what these two witnesses will also do.  They destroyed their enemies with fire, they withheld the rain, they turned water into blood and also struck the world with plagues. 

            Next both the Old Testament and Jewish tradition expected Moses and Elijah to return in the future.  “5 "Behold, I am going to send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and terrible day of the LORD (Mal. 4:5).”  Now when the Lord Jesus came to earth He explained to His disciples that if the people would have believed in Him then John the Baptist would have been the one who would have taken the place of Elijah, but they didn’t and so we can still look forward to having Elijah come before the Lord returns as we will see in Rev. 19.  Next we will look at Deut. 18:15, 18 “15 "The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your countrymen, you shall listen to him.”  “18  ’I will raise up a prophet from among their countrymen like you, and I will put My words in his mouth, and he shall speak to them all that I command him.”  Now let me go back and give you the verse in Matthew 11:14 to again speak of John the Baptist as being Elijah:  “"And if you are willing to accept it, John himself is Elijah who was to come.”

            Thirdly “both Moses and Elijah (perhaps representing the Law and the Prophets) appeared with Christ at the Transfiguration, the preview of the Second Coming (Matt. 17:3).”  “And behold, Moses and Elijah appeared to them, talking with Him.”  Now just an observation and that is that this was the first time that Moses made it into the Promised Land.

            John MacArthur’s forth reason is “both left the earth in unusual ways.”  Now we know that Elijah left in a fiery chariot as seen in 2 Kings 2:11-12 and as far as Moses he was supernaturally buried in a secret location:  “5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD. 6 And He buried him in the valley in the land of Moab, opposite Beth-peor; but no man knows his burial place to this day.”  Let us also look at Jude 9 “  But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"”

            Now let me add a fifth reason and that is that neither Moses or Elijah finished their ministry while on planet earth and perhaps that is why the Lord will bring them back again to do that in the Tribulation Period.  Some have protested that these men cannot be the ones because of Hebrews 9:27 “it is appointed for men to die once and after that comes judgment.”  I want to direct your attention to John 11:14, 38-44 “So Jesus then said to them plainly, "Lazarus is dead,”  “38 So Jesus, again being deeply moved within, came to the tomb. Now it was a cave, and a stone was lying against it. 39 Jesus said, "Remove the stone." Martha, the sister of the deceased, said to Him, "Lord, by this time there will be a stench, for he has been dead four days." 40 Jesus said to her, "Did I not say to you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?" 41 So they removed the stone. Then Jesus raised His eyes, and said, "Father, I thank You that You have heard Me. 42 “I knew that You always hear Me; but because of the people standing around I said it, so that they may believe that You sent Me." 43 When He had said these things, He cried out with a loud voice, "Lazarus, come forth." 44 The man who had died came forth, bound hand and foot with wrappings, and his face was wrapped around with a cloth. Jesus *said to them, "Unbind him, and let him go."”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I don’t know for sure that these two men are Moses and Elijah, but the practice of comparing Scripture with Scripture is something that I as a believer began to understand a very long time ago.  I don’t remember what the date was, but I do remember the event that was taking place on the day and it was 40 years ago that I was listening to a sermon by a Pastor that my mother use to listen to in the mornings when I was small.  His name was Ralph Neighbor and the program then was Morning Sunshine, and it may have been the name of the program I was listening to 40 years ago, but he stated that as a person begins to grow in the Lord they will be able to compare Scripture with Scripture in order to get more out of the Word of God.  We have done that in this section in order to give us a pretty good idea of who these men are.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Last night I heard a wonderful sermon from a layman at our church on the fear of the Lord and he quoted verses from Deuteronomy chapter six that goes along with this section  1 "Now this is the commandment, the statutes and the judgments which the LORD your God has commanded me to teach you, that you might do them in the land where you are going over to possess it, 2  so that you and your son and your grandson might fear the LORD your God, to keep all His statutes and His commandments which I command you, all the days of your life, and that your days may be prolonged.  “4 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5 “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might (Deut. 6:1-2, 4).”  I am to love the Lord in the way spoken of here because of the fear of the Lord.  I want to give the definition of that word fear so we can better understand it:  “1) to fear, revere, be afraid

1a) (Qal)

1a1) to fear, be afraid

1a2) to stand in awe of, be awed

1a3) to fear, reverence, honor, respect

1b) (Niphal)

1b1) to be fearful, be dreadful, be feared

1b2) to cause astonishment and awe, be held in awe

1b3) to inspire reverence or godly fear or awe

1c) (Piel) to make afraid, terrify

2) (TWOT) to shoot, pour

            There is a sense in which we are to be afraid of the Lord as seen by the children of Israel when the Lord caused thunder and lightning on Mt. Sinai, but we are also to show respect and awe of the Lord too. 

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Paul.”

Today’s Bible question:  “What was the reason that Joseph’s brothers went to Egypt?”


Answer in our next SD.

5/18/2015 10:28 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment