Saturday, July 15, 2017

The Recognition of an Unpayable Debt (Phil. 19)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/15/2017 2:06 PM

My Worship Time                                                 Focus: The Recognition of an Unplayable Debt

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                        Reference:  Philemon 19

            Message of the verses:  “I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand, I will repay it (not to mention to you that you owe to me even your own self as well).”

            It was Paul’s custom to dictate his letters to an amanuensis (a literary or artistic assistant, in particular one who takes dictation or copies manuscripts.)  He would write the ending of some of his letters to show the people he was writing to that it was actually from him as they could tell by his own handwriting.  Perhaps Paul writes the end of this letter to Philemon to show that he really desires for him to forgive Onesimus as this would be more effectual.

 

            What Paul was actually writing is his own personal I. O. Y.  Even though he was in prison he still would make good on whatever Onesimus had stole from Philemon and he wanted to make sure that Philemon knew that, another reason to use his own handwriting.

 

            We see at the end of this verse Paul uses a parenthetical statement stating that Philemon actually owed Paul “even your own self as well.”  Paul was wanting to put Onesimus’ account onto his own account and because Philemon owed Paul then this would square it all up.  However there is a spiritual meaning to this too and that was restitution as this was an essential part of forgiveness, and because Onesimus did not have the means to repay Philemon Paul wanted to care for it.

           

            John MacArthur writes “That principle applies to us as well.  When someone offends us and incurs a debt, we should remember that we own debts to others.  All of us have people in our lives who have benefited us spiritually in ways we could never repay.  We are in debt to them.

 

            “I am in debt to my wife for her friendship, love, support, wisdom and input into my life.  I owe my children a debt for their kindness, concern, and care for me, and for responding to the things I have asked of them.

 

            “I am in debt to the many friends who have ministered to me.  I am in debt to my teachers in college and seminary, and to the many men whose books have instructed me.  I owe a debt to my co-workers and co-pastors, who share the ministry with me.  I am indebted to my congregation for their support, encouragement, and fellowship.

 

            “We who owe so much too so many should be quick to forgive others who owe us a debt.  Having received so many unplayable spiritual riches from so many who ask nothing in return, can I not forgive a temporal debt?”

 

            I have to say that I owe much to all the people who have taken time out of their lives to read my Spiritual Diaries.

 

7/15/2017

           

 

No comments:

Post a Comment