Tuesday, August 15, 2017

It Was a Praying Church (Acts 2:42e)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/15/2017 7:17 AM

My Worship Time                                                                         Focus:  It Was a Praying Church

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 2:42e

            Message of the verse:  “to prayer.”

            This is the last SD on this important 42nd verse in Acts chapter two, and I believe that this is the most Spiritual Diaries that I have even done for one verse.  By doing it this way it has given me more time to work on other things that I need to be working on especially working on preparation for my Sunday school class.

            Prayer is one of the most important things that a believer can do in both private devotions and also in the church.  I have spent the last six plus months studying the 17th chapter of the gospel of John something we looked at from my Spiritual Diaries back beginning in February and then in April beginning with our Sunday School class.  It is probably the most important prayer found in the entire Bible seeing who the One was doing the praying.  This Sunday the subject for our Sunday School class comes from the first eight verses in the gospel of Luke, and the subject once again is prayer.  God desires us to communicate with Him through prayer and that should also be our desire too.

            John MacArthur writes that “Prayer is the slender nerve that moves the muscles of omnipotence.  Understanding the sense of loss His disciples were feeling as they anticipated His leaving, the Lord Jesus Christ had promised in John 14:13-14 that ‘whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.’  The early church took that promise as the source of God’s provision for all their needs, and they relentlessly pursued divine help.  The ‘prayer’ in view here is not only that of individual believers but of the church corporately (cf. 1:14, 24; 4:24-31).”

            I have heard it stated that the invisible church meets on Wednesday evening for prayer and as we look around our country many Bible believing churches have omitted the Wednesday even prayer meetings.  One of the reasons that I left the church that I attended for 32 years was that they almost stopped the Wednesday evening prayer meeting.  The Pastor stopped leading that important ministry and left it to one of the deacons.  The church I now attend has the Wednesday evening prayer meeting beginning with a devotion from our Pastor and that breaking up into groups to pray for things that are important to our church family among other things. I have heard the statement that seven days without prayer makes one weak!  Sadly that is the condition of the church in our country.

            John MacArthur concludes:  “The first fellowship knew the critical importance of pursuing spiritual duties.  They knew the church must be made up of saved individuals, devoted to studying the Word, fellowship, breaking of bread, and prayer.  Those elements are the unique expression of the life of the church.  They are the means of grace by which the church becomes what God wants it to be.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have to say that prayer is very hard work, but the benefits of prayer are out of this world.  My prayer life has been changing a bit as I have different things to pray about on different days of the week, but I believe that the Lord is leading me in this direction.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To keep a good season of prayer each day.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Isaiah” (Luke 4:17).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who said, ‘"And how has it happened to me, that the mother of my Lord would come to me?’”

Answer in our next SD.

8/15/2017 7:43 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment