Saturday, August 12, 2017

It was a Spiritual Church (Acts 2:42b)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/12/2017 9:02 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus: It Was A Spiritual Church

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Acts 2:42b

            Message of the verse:  “to the apostles’ teaching”

            God has designed the church to be a place where the Word is proclaimed and where it is to be explained.  In 2 Timothy 2:2 Paul wrote “The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.”  Now 2 Timothy was the last letter of Paul’s found in the Word of God and Paul desired for Timothy to tell others the truth that he had taught him to other faithful men, then those men would pass that truth on to other faithful men and continue doing this so that it would never be lost.

            No in my Sunday school class we have been going over the prayer that the Lord Jesus Christ prayed from John chapter 17 and one of the things He prays for is that the apostles would pass on the truth of the gospel “20 "I do not ask on behalf of these alone, but for those also who believe in Me through their word; 21  that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22  "The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one; 23  I in them and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, so that the world may know that You sent Me, and loved them, even as You have loved Me.”  Now the highlighted part of verse 20 actually speaks of what Peter was doing along with the other apostles when we read our verse for today:  “to the apostles’ teaching.”  Verses 21-23 shows us what the apostles would be teaching, and that is that Jesus Christ came from God, that God sent Jesus Christ to pay for their sins so that they could have life, that they would have perfect unity with the triune God. 

            John MacArthur writes “A believer should count it a wasted day when he does not learn something new from, or is not more deeply enriched, by the truth of God’s Word.  The early church sat under the teaching ministry of the apostles, whose ‘teaching,’ now written on the pages of the New Testament Scriptures, is to be taught by all pastors.”

            Just as our bodies need food to keep it going each day, so our spirits need to be feed from the Word of God each and every day. When I was a rather young believer I struggled greatly about reading the Word of God each day, along with studying it every day.  I went to a conference in October of 1980 which was around six years after receiving Christ as my Savior and was asked by the one running the conference (as he asked all who were there) do you have trouble reading the Word each day.  He said make a vow to the Lord that you will read the Bible five minutes each day.  I did that and God has reminded me of this vow every day, especially when it is getting late and I have not read from His Word, so that I can do it.  I remember one night while driving in a car that the Lord reminded me that I had not read from His Word and so with family in the car with me I pulled over to the side of the road, took out my Bible I had in the car and read five minutes from His Word.  It was 11:55 PM when I began to read.  I have missed six or seven times reading His Word since October of 1980. 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  This comes from what I have chosen to entitle my blogs “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15 KJV).”

My Steps of Faith for Today:  2 Timothy 2:15.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “By giving the covenant and the royal descent of our Lord.”

Today’s Bible question:  “What miracle did God perform for Moses at Rephidim?”

Answer in our next SD.

8/12/2017 9:33 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment