Thursday, March 29, 2018

Prophetic Promise Proves Salvation by Grace (Acts 15:13-18)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 3/29/2018 9:20 AM

My Worship Time                                       Focus:  Prophetic Promise Proves Salvation by Grace

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 15:13-18

            Message of the verses:  “13 After they had stopped speaking, James answered, saying, "Brethren, listen to me. 14 “Simeon has related how God first concerned Himself about taking from among the Gentiles a people for His name. 15 “With this the words of the Prophets agree, just as it is written, 16 ’AFTER THESE THINGS I will return, AND I WILL REBUILD THE TABERNACLE OF DAVID WHICH HAS FALLEN, AND I WILL REBUILD ITS RUINS, AND I WILL RESTORE IT, 17 SO THAT THE REST OF MANKIND MAY SEEK THE LORD, AND ALL THE GENTILES WHO ARE CALLED BY MY NAME,’ 18 SAYS THE LORD, WHO MAKES THESE THINGS KNOWN FROM LONG AGO.”

            We have heard first from Peter, then Paul and Barnabas and after the stopped speaking James begins to speak to the congregation, and James speaks of the prophetic Word from the book of Amos 9:11-12. 11 "In that day I will raise up the fallen booth of David, And wall up its breaches; I will also raise up its ruins And rebuild it as in the days of old; 12  That they may possess the remnant of Edom And all the nations who are called by My name," Declares the LORD who does this.”  “11 In that day I will raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and will rebuild the ruins of it, and will set up the parts thereof that have been broken down, and will build it up as in the ancient days: that the remnant of men, and all the Gentiles upon whom my name is called, may earnestly seek me, saith the Lord who does all these things (Amos 9:11-12 Septuagint).”  I am not sure if James was quoting from the Septuagint or not, but it looks like what he quoted is similar to it than the Hebrew version of Amos.

 

            We can see from this section of Amos that the Old Testament certainly prophesied that Gentiles would come to know the Lord.  I don’t know if this is a true statement or not, but it does seem so to me and that is that during the Old Testament times there were not many Gentiles who came to know the Lord, and now during the New Testament times there are not many Jewish people who have come to know the Lord, but there will come a time during the tribulation period and the millennial kingdom when both Jews and Gentiles in abundance will come to know the Lord as their Savior. 

           

            As I look down at John MacArthur’s commentary I see that he writes that many have speculated that James is actually quoting from the Septuagint which is the Old Testament Hebrew translated into the Greek language.

 

            This passage in Amos is speaking of the millennial kingdom when the Lord will rebuild the temple of David as Amos states.  It is in this millennial kingdom as I have already stated when many Gentiles will come and seek the Lord.  This is not the only OT passage that speaks of this.  John MacArthur writes “James reassured his Jewish audience that the inclusion of Gentiles into the church did not abrogate God’s plan for Israel.  In fact, in the kingdom they will be the messengers to bring Gentiles to God (Zech. 8:20-23).”  “20 “Thus says the LORD of hosts, ’It will yet be that peoples will come, even the inhabitants of many cities. 21 ’The inhabitants of one will go to another, saying, "Let us go at once to entreat the favor of the LORD, and to seek the LORD of hosts; I will also go." 22 ’So many peoples and mighty nations will come to seek the LORD of hosts in Jerusalem and to entreat the favor of the LORD.’ 23 "Thus says the LORD of hosts, ’In those days ten men from all the nations will grasp the garment of a Jew, saying, "Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you."’"”

 

            MacArthur continues “James’s point is that the prophet said Gentiles will be in the kingdom without becoming Jewish proselytes.  Therefore there is no need for them to become proselytes in the present age.  His speech is a fitting conclusion to the speeches in defense of salvation by grace alone; James concluded by showing that that will also be the case in the future.  Therefore, Gentiles salvation in the present must also be by grace alone.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I just want to say that I am so happy and blessed that God has sent His Son to die on the cross for this Gentile.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to remember the love that Christ has for me as He took my place on the cross to pay for my sins, and my sin.

 

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Paul the aged, prisoner of Jesus Christ.”

 

Today’s Bible question:  “Jesus said that God had planned for His house to be used for what?”

 

Answer in our next SD.

 

3/29/2018 10:24 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment