Sunday, April 8, 2018

PT-1 "The Right Personnel" (Acts 15:37-16:3a)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/8/2018 7:40 PM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  The Right Personnel

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference: Acts 15:37-16:3a

            Message of the verses:  “37 Barnabas wanted to take John, called Mark, along with them also. 38 But Paul kept insisting that they should not take him along who had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not gone with them to the work. 39 And there occurred such a sharp disagreement that they separated from one another, and Barnabas took Mark with him and sailed away to Cyprus. 40 But Paul chose Silas and left, being committed by the brethren to the grace of the Lord. 41 And he was traveling through Syria and Cilicia, strengthening the churches. 1 Paul came also to Derbe and to Lystra. And a disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer, but his father was a Greek, 2 and he was well spoken of by the brethren who were in Lystra and Iconium. 3 Paul wanted this man to go with him;”

            First thing I want to say is that we will not get through looking at these verses in one SD, and the second thing is that I was very much looking forward to this section of the book of Acts to see what really happened to Paul and Barnabas because of their disagreement of not taking John Mark and also that we will not see Barnabas’ name again in the book of Acts.

            John MacArthur begins this section by writing “God uses the right people, the people of His choosing, for the tasks He plans for them.  To that end, He can and does use even the most negative circumstances to produce the most positive results.  He did so in the case detailed in this text.”  No I must say that I do not disagree one bit with this quote written by John MacArthur, and I have to say that what he wrote were some of the very thoughts that I have thought about when confronting this in my own mind, but I still have some questions to be answered.  I have thought about what I am going to say for a long time and one of these days I will take the time to ask my Pastor or some other person that I know that may have an idea how to answer it.  My question fits into this section we are looking at.  I am having a difficult time in figuring out if there is a difference between the will of God and the plan of God.  Perhaps it was the will of God that Barnabas and Paul continue to work together, yet it was in His plan that Paul and Silas work together in order to work out his plans that He has.  I realize that this question may seem strange to some, and yet I am still uncertain if there is a difference.  We move on.

            There is a difference between the NASB-95 version and the NASB as far as what verse 37 says, and we will look at the NASB first since the NASB-95 is at the top of the page.  “37 And Barnabas was desirous of taking John, called Mark, along with them also.”  John MacArthur states “The imperfect tense of the Greek verb translated ‘was desirous’ shows that Barnabas was persistent.  Equality adamant.  ‘Paul kept insisting that they should not take him along who had deserted them in Pamphylia and had not gone with them to the word.’”  Since it is Sunday I will end this SD with the following statements.  There was a difference between Paul and Barnabas, as it seems that Paul was more tough, more of a battle-hardened solider of Christ, while Barnabas was the one who encouraged people and thus he wanted to give Barnabas another chance.  I have a few things to say about John Mark and that is that Barnabas must have worked very well with him along with later on in his life Peter and Paul also worked with him as he turned out very well, so it seems to me that the split that took place worked out well as I am confident that it was God’s will that this happened.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Corinth” (Acts 18:1).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who stole the heart of the men of Israel from David?”

Answer in our next SD.

4/8/2018 8:05 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment