Wednesday, April 11, 2018

The Right Precautions (Acts 16:3b)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 4/11/2018 8:24 AM

My Worship Time                                                                         Focus:  “The Right Precautions”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 16:3b

            Message of the verse:  “and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews who were in those parts, for they all knew that his father was a Greek.”

            As we read the last half of Acts 16:3 perhaps we have a question as to why Paul circumcised Timothy.  Perhaps we go back to what we learned from the Jerusalem Counsel about trying to add something to being saved, and in this case circumcision.  We mentioned in our last SD that it is believed that Timothy’s dad had died and so it seems that because Paul was going to become Timothy’s spiritual father that because of the Jews in that area as the verse states that it would be proper to take on the role of his father and have him circumcised.  Timothy’s circumcision would grant him to be able to go into the synagogues which Paul and Silas would go into in order to tell the Jews from the Old Testament that Jesus was their Messiah.  There was nothing wrong with Paul doing this at all because of the fact that Timothy’s mother was Jewish.

            John MacArthur writes “Far from lapsing into legalism, Paul was being consistent with a principle he would later express in 1 Corinthians 9:19-22:

‘19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some.’

“Significantly, Paul refused to circumcise Titus (Gal. 2:3).  Titus unlike Timothy was a full-blooded Gentile.  To have circumcised him would have been to capitulate to legalism.”

            We can see that from Paul’s actions that concerned his two companions that we see an important principle become evident.  As a missionary not only for Paul but all missionaries, they must become sensitive to the unique characteristics of the culture that they were working in.  Similar to what Paul did in circumcising Timothy, missionaries should avoid giving any unnecessary that is offensive.  However like Paul in refusing to circumcise Titus, they must not compromise any of the timeless truths of Scripture.  We cannot do wrong when we follow the Bible, and that is what Paul was doing.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Remember to always follow what the Bible tells me to do, as I know what it says about situations, and then pray about situations and rely upon the Spirit of God to lead me.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord to give us direction on what we are going to do with my father-in-law situation.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “At midnight” (Exodus 12:29).

Today’s Bible question:  “On what day of the week should one make his gifts?”

Answer in our next SD.

4/11/2018 9:04 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment