Saturday, May 19, 2018

God is the Ruler (Acts 17:24b)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/19/2018 9:49 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                          Focus:  “Ruler”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 17:24b

            Message of the verses:  “since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.”

            We have been looking through the rather short sermon that Luke records in Act 17 where Paul was talking to the Greek philosophers.  I have to believe that Paul said more than Luke has recorded, but Luke was being led by the Holy Spirit to write.  I have mentioned that we are looking at some sub-points under the main point of “Recognizing who God is,” and this is the second sup-point under this main point which tells that God is indeed the Ruler.

            The problem that man has had ever since Adam sinned is that they do not recognize that because God made the heavens and the earth that He is ruler over them, including mankind.  When Adam sinned he through the world into a lot of trouble because of his sin, for before that sin he knew God, and spoke to him in the garden, yet because of Satan’s temptation and Adam and Eve both following it that fellowship with God like it was before sin was gone, but the fact still remains, even though at times it does not look like it, God is still in control, as He did not just make heaven and earth, mankind and everything we see and just let it take its own course.  I think that Romans 8:28 come into play here “And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.”  The reason I quote this verse is to show the greatness of God for He can take “all things” and cause them to work together for good for those who love Him, those who are called according to His purpose.”  To me that is awesome, and believe me I do not use that word very often, only when talking about my Lord do I use it.

            Psalm 24:1-2 says “The earth is the LORD’S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it. 2 For He has founded it upon the seas And established it upon the rivers.”   Psalm 103:19 “The LORD has established His throne in the heavens, And His sovereignty rules over all.”  When we studied the book of Daniel we say that Nebuchadnezzar was forced to admit:

34 "But at the end of that period, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven and my reason returned to me, and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him who lives forever; For His dominion is an everlasting dominion, And His kingdom endures from generation to generation. 35 "All the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, But He does according to His will in the host of heaven And among the inhabitants of earth; And no one can ward off His hand Or say to Him, ’What have You done?’”

            We know that the last part of this verse speaking of God not living in a temple, which is exactly what those Greek philosophers thought.  Now one may think of the Jewish temple and wonder about that.  Let us look at some verses to answer that question:  “1 Kings 8:27 “"But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You, how much less this house which I have built!”  (This was spoken by Solomon who built the first temple.)  2 Chronicles 2:6; 6:18 “"But who is able to build a house for Him, for the heavens and the highest heavens cannot contain Him? So who am I, that I should build a house for Him, except to burn incense before Him?”  “18 “But will God indeed dwell with mankind on the earth? Behold, heaven and the highest heaven cannot contain You; how much less this house which I have built.”  We will end this portion of this SD by looking at Psalm 139:1-12

“O LORD, You have searched me and known me. 2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; You understand my thought from afar. 3 You scrutinize my path and my lying down, And are intimately acquainted with all my ways. 4 Even before there is a word on my tongue, Behold, O LORD, You know it all. 5 You have enclosed me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is too high, I cannot attain to it.  7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there. 9  If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea, 10  Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me. 11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night," 12 Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike to You.”

            John MacArthur comments “The folly of idolatry is most clearly seen in its denial of God’s infinity.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I am thankful that God is ruler over all, even though at times I do not understand some of the things that are going on I still believe that God controls all things.

My Steps of Faith For Today:  Trust the Lord to give me the wisdom to teach Sunday school tomorrow, and then it will be a break for me to take a couple of weeks off from teaching as other things are planned for the Sunday school hour.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Delilah” (Judges 16:6, 9).

Today’s Bible question:  “In what river did Elisha retrieve an ax head?”

Answer in our next SD.

5/19/2018 10:18 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment