Wednesday, May 9, 2018

PT-4 "Content" (Acts 17:2b-3, 11)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/9/2018 8:06 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                       Focus:  PT-4 “Content”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 17:2b-3, 11

            Message of the verses:  “and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures, 3 explaining and giving evidence that the Christ had to suffer and rise again from the dead, and saying, "This Jesus whom I am proclaiming to you is the Christ."… 11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.”

            We left off in our last SD by asking a question “How can a Christian know God’s Word well enough to use it effectively?”  We stated that we will give three ways which will help answer this question.

            During my prayer time each morning there are some things that I do before actually bringing my petitions before the Lord, and the first thing is to ask the Lord to search my heart to see if there is anything that I have done that is sinful so that I can confess it before the Lord.  “23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: 24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting (Psalm 139:23-24).”  Peter also writes something similar in 1 Peter 2:1-2 “1 Therefore, putting aside all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, 2 like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation.”

            Next we must learn that Bible study must be diligent, something that Paul wrote to his beloved son in the Lord, Timothy:  “Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth (2 Timothy 2:15).”  We can also learn this from verse 11 of Acts 17, a verse we are looking at in these past few SD’s.  I remember that when I was a much younger man that we were taught that if we prayed over the Bible about a problem that we were having and then just randomly opened up the Bible that God would give us an answer.  This is not the kind of Bible study that Paul is writing to Timothy about.

            Thirdly, after we learn truths from the Word of God believers must be committed to practicing the truths that are learned.  I remember a friend of mine who was a life time missionary in Brazil, and we use to email each other a lot.  I use to send some of my Spiritual Diaries to him and he called them nuggets, like golden nuggets.  He would tell me to keep on sending those nuggets of truth to him.  James tells us in 1:22 “But prove yourselves doers of the word, and not merely hearers who delude themselves.”

            John MacArthur writes about the fourth and last part of this answer to our question about Bible study:  “Finally, an excellent way to learn the truth is to teach it to others (2 Tim. 2:2).  We retain far more of what we study to teach others than of what we learn for our own benefit.

            “The Old Testament believer Ezra is an example for Christians to follow.  According to Ezra 7:10, he ‘set his heart to study the law of the Lord and to practice it, and to teach His statutes and ordinances in Israel.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have named my blog 2 Timothy 2:15 “Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.”  That is my desire, and according to our third point which tells us to share it that is what I am doing as I put my Spiritual Diaries onto my blog each day.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Keep on studying the Word of God, and to live out the truths that I learn along with sharing it.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “The shadow of the sundial went back ten degrees” (2 Kings 20:8-10).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who gave unto s the earnest of the Spirit?”

Answer in our next SD.

5/9/2018 8:34 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment