Friday, August 10, 2018

Paul's Conduct Before His Conversion (Acts 22:2d-5)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/10/2018 12:09 PM

My Worship Time                                                  Focus:  Paul’s Conduct Before His Conversion

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 22:2d-5

            Message of the verses:  and he said, 3 "I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city, educated under Gamaliel, strictly according to the law of our fathers, being zealous for God just as you all are today. 4 “I persecuted this Way to the death, binding and putting both men and women into prisons, 5 as also the high priest and all the Council of the elders can testify. From them I also received letters to the brethren, and started off for Damascus in order to bring even those who were there to Jerusalem as prisoners to be punished.”

 

            In our last SD we looked at Acts 21:37-22:2a-c, and then explained that the remainder of verses 22d-22:21 would be looked at in three sections, as Paul speaks of what happened before his conversion, how he was converted, and then what happened when he was commissioned after his conversion by the Lord Jesus Christ.  Today we want to try and get through what Paul’s conduct before his conversion was.

 

            Paul begins to refute the charges that he opposed the Jewish people as he declared emphatically, “I am a Jew!”  We will look at Paul’s impeachable credentials of him being a Jew as we continue to look at this passage.  I also believe that he gives these credentials in the letters that he wrote to different churches where he had to defend his apostleship.  Paul goes on to say that he was born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but he then came to Jerusalem, probably as a young man in order to set under and be educated by Gamaliel.  Gamaliel was a very famous rabbi who taught concerning the Law of Moses, and Paul was a good student.  Paul goes on to say that learned “strictly according to the law of our fathers.”  He goes on to say that he was “zealous for God,” and then says that his audience was also zealous for God.  Let us look at Romans 10:2 “For I testify about them that they have a zeal for God, but not in accordance with knowledge.  In this chapter of Romans along with 9 and 11 Paul is talking about the Jewish people and telling the Romans how much that he loves them even to the point that he would give up his salvation, if possible, so they could be saved.  In Romans 10:2 he talks about them being zealous for God, he then qualifies that zeal as it being without knowledge.  In other words the missed the boat when it came to understanding all about God, and what they missed was that salvation cannot be earned, but it is a gift through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.  Now I mentioned that Paul said things in his letters about his testimony and we read part of it in Gal. 1:13-24 “13 For you have heard of my former manner of life in Judaism, how I used to persecute the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it; 14 and I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my countrymen, being more extremely zealous for my ancestral traditions. 15 But when God, who had set me apart even from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, was pleased 16 to reveal His Son in me so that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with flesh and blood, 17 nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went away to Arabia, and returned once more to Damascus. 18 Then three years later I went up to Jerusalem to become acquainted with Cephas, and stayed with him fifteen days. 19 But I did not see any other of the apostles except James, the Lord’s brother. 20 (Now in what I am writing to you, I assure you before God that I am not lying.) 21 Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. 22 I was still unknown by sight to the churches of Judea which were in Christ; 23 but only, they kept hearing, "He who once persecuted us is now preaching the faith which he once tried to destroy." 24 And they were glorifying God because of me.”  This section from Galatians goes very well with our verses in Acts 22 that we are looking at today.  One has to gather all of these kind of passages to better understand the time line of Paul after he became a believer, which I think is very interesting to look at.

 

            Paul then tells about how he persecuted the Way, (the church) because of his being zealous for the law, as he too had a misguided understanding of the law at that time.  Next he gives more proof of his credentials’: “as also the high priest and all the Council of the elders can testify.”  Probably the same counsel (the Sanhedrin) would be present at the time Paul gives his talk. 

 

            I wish to quote John MacArthur’s last paragraph in his commentary on these verses to help us better understand more thoroughly this section:  “Paul’s conduct before his conversion refuted the false allegations against him.  Far from being an enemy of his people, he had been ‘advancing in Judaism beyond man of [his] contemporaries among [his] countrymen, being more extremely zealous for [his] ancestral traditions’ (Gal. 1:14).  No one could legitimately question his regard for God and His law.”

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I can learn much from Paul’s testimony that he gives here in Acts and also in Galatians.  I can understand that just like Paul and every other true believer that God chose me to accomplish work for the cause of Christ even before time began.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.”  Do the work that I was called to do.

 

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God”  (Acts 8:37).

 

Today’s Bible question:  “Who climbed a sycamore tree to see Jesus?”

 

Answer in our next SD.

 

8/10/2018 12:55 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment