Friday, August 31, 2018

PT-1 "The Defense" (Acts 24:10-21)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/31/2018 9:28 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-1 “The Defense”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 24:10-21

           

            Message of the verses:  10 When the governor had nodded for him to speak, Paul responded: "Knowing that for many years you have been a judge to this nation, I cheerfully make my defense, 11  since you can take note of the fact that no more than twelve days ago I went up to Jerusalem to worship. 12 “Neither in the temple, nor in the synagogues, nor in the city itself did they find me carrying on a discussion with anyone or causing a riot. 13 “Nor can they prove to you the charges of which they now accuse me. 14 “But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets; 15  having a hope in God, which these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. 16 “In view of this, I also do my best to maintain always a blameless conscience both before God and before men. 17 “Now after several years I came to bring alms to my nation and to present offerings; 18 in which they found me occupied in the temple, having been purified, without any crowd or uproar. But there were some Jews from Asia- 19 who ought to have been present before you and to make accusation, if they should have anything against me. 20 “Or else let these men themselves tell what misdeed they found when I stood before the Council, 21 other than for this one statement which I shouted out while standing among them, ’For the resurrection of the dead I am on trial before you today.’"”

 

            Paul’s defense does not begin with flattery as did Tertullus’ did, for all Paul was doing was stating a fact that Felix had been in this region of the world ruling long enough to understand what was going on with the Jewish people and their “religion.”  He had been governor for five years and before that he served under Cumanus, governor of Samaria for several years.

 

            When Paul brings up the fact that 12 days ago that he went up to Jerusalem to worship, and for the last five days he had been in Caesarea, and before that he came to fulfill a vow which we saw in Acts 21:23-37, thus he certainly did not have enough time to start some kind of rebellion against Rome.  Paul’s goal in coming to Jerusalem was to worship the Lord in the temple and to bring money for the hurting church of Judah. 

 

            More proof is given by Paul as he speaks:  ““Neither in the temple, nor in the synagogues, nor in the city itself did they find me carrying on a discussion with anyone or causing a riot.’”  Paul did not engage in any public debate with anyone during this time, thus he could not have been causing a riot.  MacArthur adds “In fact, he had not gone to Jerusalem on an evangelistic mission but to bring an offering for the poor.” 

 

            Paul shows that the Sanhedrin could not prove any of the political charges against him, and as far as the religious charges these were something that was outside the competence of a Roman court to judge, so Felix should have dismissed the charges at this point, but he did not.

 

            One of the charges that the lawyer for the Jews spoke of was the fact that Paul was a member of “the way” as Paul describes it in his defense.  Paul does not deny this, but turns it against the members of the Sanhedrin here by stating “But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve that God of our Fathers.”  The Jews thought that Christianity was a dangerous sect, Paul emphatically declared, “I do serve the God of our fathers” and this was the historic title for the God of Israel as seen in the OT.  For instance the Jews put their hope in Abraham and also Moses, but both Abraham and Moses would have turned against them if they had been alive in that day and would have defended Paul because Paul was teaching the truth and the Jews were teaching their tradition which was totally wrong.

 

            I want to begin with a quote from John MacArthur to further talk about this issue that Paul was serving the God of their Fathers in our next SD.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I desire at all time to live and to talk about the truth that is found in Scripture, and not to put my hope in traditions unless they follow what Scripture has to say.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To continue to learn from the Word of God as I study it each day.

 

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “This world” (Romans 12:2).

 

Today’s Bible question:  “What did Jesus advise if one brings a gift and remembers that his brother has something against him?”

 

Answer in our next SD.

 

8/31/2018 10:05 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment