Sunday, September 2, 2018

PT-3 "The Defense" (Acts 24:10-21)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/2/2018 11:09 PM

 

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-3 “The Defense”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Acts 24:10-21

 

            Message of the verses:  ““10 When the governor had nodded for him to speak, Paul responded: "Knowing that for many years you have been a judge to this nation, I cheerfully make my defense, 11  since you can take note of the fact that no more than twelve days ago I went up to Jerusalem to worship. 12 “Neither in the temple, nor in the synagogues, nor in the city itself did they find me carrying on a discussion with anyone or causing a riot. 13 “Nor can they prove to you the charges of which they now accuse me. 14 “But this I admit to you, that according to the Way which they call a sect I do serve the God of our fathers, believing everything that is in accordance with the Law and that is written in the Prophets; 15 having a hope in God, which these men cherish themselves, that there shall certainly be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked. 16 “In view of this, I also do my best to maintain always a blameless conscience both before God and before men. 17 “Now after several years I came to bring alms to my nation and to present offerings; 18 in which they found me occupied in the temple, having been purified, without any crowd or uproar. But there were some Jews from Asia- 19 who ought to have been present before you and to make accusation, if they should have anything against me. 20 “Or else let these men themselves tell what misdeed they found when I stood before the Council, 21  other than for this one statement which I shouted out while standing among them, ’For the resurrection of the dead I am on trial before you today.’"”

 

            Let us pick up by looking at verse 17 which tells us what Paul was really doing in Jerusalem, as he wanted to present alms to his nation and he also wanted to bring the money that he had collected from the Gentile churches, something that Paul was worried about, worried if the Jewish church would accept the gift since it came from the Gentiles.  Paul prayed the following about this situation when he wrote to the church at Rome:  30 Now I urge you, brethren, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God for me, 31 that I may be rescued from those who are disobedient in Judea, and that my service for Jerusalem may prove acceptable to the saints’ (Rom. 15:30-31).”  You can see from these two verses that Paul wanted prayer support from the church at Rome, and the words “strive together with me” is a very powerful Greek word that means Paul wants this church to fight with him in prayer for this cause.  Also the Greek word “disobedient” speaks of those who are not believers.

 

            We know what happened to Paul after he delivered the money and that is that he was falsely accused of taking a Gentile into the temple, something we discussed in an earlier SD, stating that that would have been impossible to happen because of the guards there.

 

            John MacArthur writes “Paul then turned to the real cause of the disturbance—‘certain Jews from’ the Roman province of ‘Asia.’  Their false charge that Paul desecrated the temple provoked the ensuring riot.  Accordingly, as Paul reminded Felix, those Asian Jews ‘ought to have been present before you, and to make accusation, if they should have anything against me’ (cf. 25:16).  This was a telling point in Paul’s favor, because ‘Roman law was very strong against accusers who abandoned their charges’ (A. N. Sherwin-White, Roman Society and Roman Law in the New Testament)…That the eye-witnesses of Paul’s alleged desecration of the temple failed to show up undermined the Sanhedrin’s case.”

 

            Paul then presses home the point, Paul boldly challenged the Sanhedrin to “tell what misdeed they found when I stood before the Council, 21  other than for this one statement which I shouted out while standing among them, ’For the resurrection of the dead I am on trial before you today.”  In reality since the witness had not showed up the case should have been dismissed, but we will lean what happened in the verdict which will be seen in our next SD.

 

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “John the Baptist” (John 1:32).

 

Today’s Bible question:  “Where did God tell Elijah to hide?”

 

Answer in our next SD.

 

9/2/2018 11:37 PM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment