Monday, October 22, 2018

PT-3 "The Aspects of Blessing" (Eph. 1:3)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/22/2018 10:24 AM



My Worship Time                                                              Focus:  PT-3 "The Aspects of Blessing”



Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Ephesians 1:3



            Message of the verse:  3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ,”



            In today’s SD we continue to look at the different sub-sections under the main section “The Aspects of Blessing,” and as we continue to look at these we see that there is a lot of things packed into this third verse of Ephesians, and it is good for us to remember that verses 3-14 comprise one sentence in the original Greek language. 



THE BLESSINGS—EVERYTHING SPIRITUAL



            We see from this section that our heavenly Father blesses “us with every spiritual blessing.”  I look at this section and have to say that this overwhelms me, and at times when I am overwhelmed I just have a tendency of giving up and it mainly for this reason that I was not sure that I even wanted to study this book of the Bible, and yet it seemed to me that this was what the Lord wanted me to study, and so I desire to take the time to look at the details of this book in a way that will bring glory to the Lord as His Spirit opens to me some of the things that have been hidden from me in studying this book before.



            John MacArthur writes “In the New Testament pneumatikos (spiritual) is always used in relation to the work of the Holy Spirit.  Therefore it does not here refer to immaterial blessings as opposed to material ones but to the divine origin of the blessings—whether they help us in our spirits, our minds, our bodies, our daily living, or however else.  Spiritual refers to the source, not the extent, of blessing.”



            One of the problems that believers in Christ have is that they will ask Him for things that He has already given them.  I think of many prayers that I have made and have heard others make saying something like “be with me” or “be with him or her” and we know that God has said that He will never leave us nor forsake us.  Sometimes believers pray that God will give them more love, yet God’s love is perfect and what He gives us is perfect, for God is perfect.  “"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Do not let your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful (John 14:27).”  John 15:11 “"These things I have spoken to you so that My joy may be in you, and that your joy may be made full.”  Romans 5:5 “and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.”  Strength is found in Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”  God has already given believers love, peace, joy, and strength.



            2 Peter 1:13 tells us “seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence.   MacArthur writes “It is not that God will give us but that He has already given us ‘everything pertaining to life and godliness.’  He has blessed us already with every spiritual blessing.  We are complete ‘in Him’ (Col. 2:10).”



            The very resources in God are not simply promised; they are possessed.  Paul writes to the Philippians in 1:19 telling them that believers have “the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ.”  God is perfect and what He gives us is perfect as we learned yesterday, and so what He gives us is perfect, for there is nothing more to receive.  “The believer’s need, therefore, is not to receive something more but to do something more with what he has (MacArthur).” Now as we end this section think about how secure what God has given to us as we look at Ephesians 2:6 “and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus,” for that is how secure they are as He sees us already seated with Him in the heavenly places.



            I think that what we have already written about here is enough for us all to think about and so we will continue looking at more things found in 1:3 in our next SD.



            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  In studying the attributes of God I have come to realize that they are perfect because God is perfect, and sometimes I find myself forgetting that because of being human.  Being human means that I can do a better job in showing love to my wife and family, or being joyful over things that bring joy to me, but as stated this is not the case with God, as He is perfect.  I cannot compare myself with God when it comes to giving love to others or being joyful.  It just won’t work.



My Steps of Faith for Today:  Let God be God in my life and trust Him to better understand these truths that have been talked about today.



Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Jerusalem” (Acts 9:2).



Today’s Bible question:  “Who first ate the forbidden fruit?”



Answer in our next SD.



10/22/2018 11:06 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment