Sunday, May 17, 2020

(PT-3 "The Meaning") (Matt. 5:8)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/17/2020 8:25 PM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-3 “The Meaning”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 5:8

            Message of the verse:  “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.”

            Let us begin this SD by looking at the word “pure” which is found in our verse.  MacArthur writes “Pure translates katharos, a form of the word four which we get catharsis.  The basic meaning is to make pure by cleansing from dirt, filth, and contamination.  Catharsis is a term used in psychology and counseling for a cleansing of the mind or emotions.  The Greek word is related to the Latin castus, from which we get chaste.  The related word chasten refers to discipline given in order to cleanse from wrong behavior.”

            I remind you that I worked in a foundry for most of my career at Ford Motor Company, and where I worked we melted cast iron, some 3000 tons per day.  One of my jobs was to make sure that the iron that I melted was pure and this goes along with the Greek term for our word “pure.”  In the sense of metal purity means unmixed, unalloyed, unadulterated, and if one applies that to the heart, the idea is that one would have pure motives.  They would also have undivided devotion, spiritual integrity, and also true righteousness.

            A believer does not have to think too hard to remind himself that being double-minded has always been a problem that has plagued the church.  The problem is that we want to serve the Lord and we also want to follow the world at the same time.  Jesus tells us that is impossible in Matthew 6:24 “"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.  James actually gives the same truth in another way from James 4:4 “You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.  Then he goes on to write in verse 8b “Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.”

            Christians have the right heart motive concerning God, but as Paul writes we sometimes get ourselves in trouble as he writes about in Romans 7:15, 21, and 25 “15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate.  21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.  25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.”  Let me say that there are those who think that Paul was not a believer when he had these problems, and think perhaps he was looking back at them.  However that is not the truth in fact, I ham mentioned in earlier writings that according to John MacArthur, and I suppose many others that the verb tense shows that Paul continued to have this problem all his live.  It was Paul’s deepest spiritual desire that he and also his readers would be pure, although the sin dwelling in his flesh sometimes overrode those desires.  I really think that I understand that for the Christian life is surely a battle.

            I will conclude this section with a short quote from MacArthur and then a father lengthy quotation of Romans 7:15-25.  “Those who truly belong to God will be motivated to purity.  Psalm 119 is the classic illustration of that longing and Romans 7:15-25 is the Pauline counterpart.  The deepest desire of the redeemed is for holiness, even when sin halts the fulfillment of that desire.” 

            “15 For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate. 16 But if I do the very thing I do not want to do, I agree with the Law, confessing that the Law is good. 17 So now, no longer am I the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 18 For I know that nothing good dwells in me, that is, in my flesh; for the willing is present in me, but the doing of the good is not. 19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want. 20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me. 21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good. 22  For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man, 23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members. 24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death? 25 Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, on the one hand I myself with my mind am serving the law of God, but on the other, with my flesh the law of sin.”

5/17/2020 8:52 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment