Wednesday, May 20, 2020

The Way of Holiness (Matt. 5:8)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 5/20/2020 10:27 AM

My Worship Time                                                                           Focus:  “The Way of Holiness”

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 5:8

            Message of the verse:  "Happy are the utterly sincere, for they will see God!”

            I want to begin this SD with a short story that happened to me back in 1974 or 1975.  Once I had become a believer I did not go to a church for four years, but was meeting with people at a Christian book store.  One evening the owner, who had been mentoring me, asked me to watch the store while he had something to do.  A man came in to look for a book on holiness.  He believed that after living the Christian life for a long time that God would miraculous eradicate not only his sins but his old sin nature.  I was very knew in the faith, but I did know enough to show him a couple of books, one that went alone with his point and one that did not.  I tell this story because there are some people in this world today, and for that matter for a long time who believe that they can live without sinning, which the Word of God certainly does not go along with, and there are some people who will run away to be by their selves to pray and meditate on the Word of God in order to become sinless.  It is good from time to time to be by one’s self to do that, but that in and of itself will not make you without sin or get rid of the sin nature.  I once read a story about a monk who went away to meditate for a long time and the first thing that he said after returning was “I never thought of a woman the entire time I was there.” 

            God will always provide for what He demands, and He has therefore provided ways for us to live purely.  In his commentary on this section John MacArthur gives four ways to help us live purely.

1.     Believers must realize that we are not able to live a single holy moment without the Lord’s guidance and with His power.  Prov. 20:9 “Who can say, "I have cleansed my heart, I am pure from my sin"?”  Perhaps this was a rhetorical question, for the answer is that no one can do this other than the Lord Jesus Christ.  Jeremiah writes in 13:23a the following “"Can the Ethiopian change his skin Or the leopard his spots?”  Cleansing begins with recognition of weakness.  After that weakness reaches out for the strength of God.
2.     We must stay in God’s Word.  A friend of mine Dr. Mike Peck writes a short devotional story each day and today’s story was about a woman who was afraid much of the time, and she was directed to spend more time in God’s Word, and prayer.  This helped her out of the fear she had.  Jesus said the following in John 15:13 “"You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.”
3.     It essential to be controlled by and walking in the will and way of the Holy Spirit.  But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh” (Gal. 5:16).
4.     We must Pray!  In order to know God’s will for our lives prayer is essential as we must stay close to the Lord, and we do this by talking to Him.  Ephesians 6:18 tells us to “pray at all times in the Spirit.”  1 Thessalonians 5:17 tells us “pray without ceasing,” and Warren Wiersbe use to say in order to do this we have to keep the phone off the hook with heaven.  In John 3 we learn about Nicodemus who came to Jesus by night to talk to Him about something that was on his heart.  Nicodemus was given an answer by Jesus, but not answering the question that was ask by him, as Jesus knew what His real issue was.  I am learning for this that throughout the day I must just talk to the Lord like Nicodemus talked to Him, and my prayer is that He will answer the needs that I am facing each day.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I desire to always keep my phone off the hook as I talk with the Lord at different times of the day.  He know what I need before I ask and for that I am thankful.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  I trust the Lord to guide me in His ways through His Word and His Spirit.  I continue to seek contentment and humility in my life and to continue to have joy as I study His Word each day.

5/20/2020 11:08 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment