Wednesday, June 10, 2020

PT-2 "Verbal Insults" (Matt. 5:10-12)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 6/10/2020 10:38 AM

My Worship Time                                                                              Focus:  PT-2-Verbal Insults

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matt. 5:10-12

            Message of the verses:  10 God blesses those who are persecuted for doing right, for the Kingdom of Heaven is theirs. 11 “God blesses you when people mock you and persecute you and lie about you and say all sorts of evil things against you because you are my followers. 12 Be happy about it! Be very glad! For a great reward awaits you in heaven. And remember, the ancient prophets were persecuted in the same way” (NLT).

            I remarked that I had to think about what was coming next as I ended our last SD and I have decided to just quote what John MacArthur has to say next in his commentary on this sub-section as I think that people today are kind of caught up in what he is talking about here.

            “God does not call His people to be sanctified celebrities, using their worldly reputations in a self-style effort to bring Him glory, using their power to supplement His power and their wisdom to enhance His gospel.  We can mark it down as a cardinal principle that to the extent the world a Christian cause or person—or that a Christian causes or person embraces the world—to that extent that cause or person has compromised the gospel and scriptural standards.”  I suppose that one of the first things that I think about when it comes to these types of people is movie stars who claim that they are believers and then go out and are in “R” rated moves using all kinds of foul language.

            Think about if Paul would have capitalized on his human credentials he could have drawn greater crowds perhaps and certainly have received a greater welcome wherever he went.  Think about him being alive today and doing this.  He would be the number one man on FB and Twitter. However God certainly did not call him to do those types of things and Paul surely knew it, but my thoughts are that he may have been tempted to do these kind of things as we read about his thorn in the flesh in 2 Corinthians that God used to keep him humble.  Paul writes to the Philippians the following about all his accolades “7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ,” (Phil. 3:7-8).

            Paul’s marks of authenticity that Paul carried as an Apostle and a minister of Jesus Christ were his credentials as a servant and also a sufferer as he describes in 2 Cor. 11:23-27 “23 Are they servants of Christ?-I speak as if insane-I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. 24 Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. 25 Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. 26  I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; 27 I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.”  Jesus said that all of this would happen to Paul after He saved him as seen in Acts chapter nine.

            What did Paul actually boast about?  5 On behalf of such a man I will boast; but on my own behalf I will not boast, except in regard to my weaknesses” (2 Cor. 12:5).  Paul was a Christian who totally relied upon the power of the Holy Spirit when he was preaching and as he wrote in 1 Corinthians 2:1 he did not “determine to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified.”   Paul goes on to talk more about this in verses 2-5 “2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4  and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.”

            MacArthur concludes “We live in a day when the church, more than ever before, is engaged in self-glorification and an attempt to gain worldly recognition that must be repulsive to God.  When the church tries to use the things of the world to do the work of heaven, it only succeeds in hiding heaven from the world.  And when the world is pleased with the church, we can be sure that God is not.  We can be equally sure that when we are pleasing to God, we will not be pleasing to the system of Satan.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  The things that I am learning about in this last Beatitude are very difficult to deal with, but also very true as is all of the Word of God.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  To trust the Lord to give me His grace each day in order to do the things that He has called me to do on that day.

6/10/2020 11:30 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment