Sunday, July 19, 2020

PT-6 "The Permanence of Scripture" (Matt. 5:18)

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 7/19/2020 7:55 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                     Focus:  PT-6 “The Permanence of Scripture”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Matthew 5:18

 

            Message of the verse:  18 Indeed, I assure you that, while Heaven and earth last, the Law will not lose a single dot or comma until its purpose is complete.”

 

            I want to pick up from where I left off in our last SD: 

 

3. The 3rd point is that we should obey God’s Word.  How do we do that?  Well we should be diligent to present ourselves approved to God as workmen who do “not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth” (2 Timothy 2:15).  This verse in second Timothy is the key verse for my blog, and it always has been, for it is the goal of mine to handle the Word of God in such a way that those who read the posts on my two different blogs will understand what the Bible is saying, especially to them.  Jeremiah 15:16 is a verse that I memorized early in my walk with the Lord:  “Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts.”  I have to believe that what Jeremiah was saying was that we are to meditate on the Word of God.  Another verse that I memorized early in my walk with the Lord comes from Colossians 3:16 “Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God.”  Early in my walk with the Lord I took some courses from the Moody Bible Institute and one of them was a series of verses that I had to memorize and so that is why I memorized these verses.

 

4. The fourth point is that we must defend God’s Word.  Jude writes in the third verse of his brief letter “Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.”  As believers we should desire and to do exactly what Jude was doing.  John MacArthur quotes Spurgeon who said “The everlasting gospel is worth preaching even if one stood on a burning fagot and addressed the crowds from a pulpit of flames.  The truths revealed in Scripture are worth living for and they are worth dying for.  I count myself thrice happy, to bear reproach for the sake of the faith.  It is an honor of which I feel myself to be unworthy, and yet most truly I can say the words of our hymn, ‘Shall I to soothe the unholy throng, soften Thy truths and smooth my tongue to gain earth’s gilded toys, or flee the cross endured my God by Thee.’”

 

5.  Lastly in this list about the Word of God is that we live to proclaim God’s Word.  Once again MacArthur quotes Spurgeon:  “I cannot speak out my whole heart on this theme which is so dear to me, but I would stir you all up to be instant in season and out of season in telling out the gospel message, especially to repeat such a word as this:  ‘God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.’  Whisper it in the ear of the sick, shout it in the corner of the streets, write it on your tablet, send it forth from the press, but everywhere let this be your great motive and warrant.  You preach the gospel because the mouth of the Lord hath spoken it.’”

 

            All I have to say about this quote is an AMEN!

 

7/19/2020 8:17 AM


No comments:

Post a Comment