Monday, August 3, 2020

PT-2 "The Righteousness God Gives" (Matt. 5:20)

It seems that perhaps Google is messing with my blog site and so I will post the web address on this SD and if you know anyone who is having trouble getting onto my blog please pass it on.  www.2twokens.blogspot.com

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/3/2020 10:01 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                   Focus:  PT-2 “The Righteousness God Gives”

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                     Reference:  Matthew 5:20

 

            Message of the verse:  20 For I tell you, unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven” (HCSB).

 

            As we begin this SD I want to quote two verses from Romans chapter 5, verses 17 and 21.  17 For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.  21 so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.”

 

            John MacArthur writes “The righteousness God requires, God also gives.  It cannot be deserved, earned, or accomplished, but only accepted.  By offering Himself for sin, Christ ‘condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the requirement of the Law might be fulfilled in us’ (Rom. 8:4-5).  God gave the impossible standard and then Himself provided its fulfillment.”  Remember the story about the judge and his son that I wrote about in an earlier SD.

 

            Paul, the writer of the book of Romans had a considerable claim to having a self-made righteousness than the Pharisees that Jesus was speaking to at this time.  Paul writes the following in Philippians 3:4-6 “4 although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more: 5  circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6  as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.”  Paul came to find out that this would do him no good because when the apostle was confronted by Christ’s righteousness, he was also confronted by his own sinfulness and knew his righteousness would do him no good.  Don’t fall under what many people say that they will say to God when they meet Him in heaven.  “My good deeds have outweighed my bad deeds,”  my friend that will not work because God wants a perfect you that can only come through Jesus Christ.  Paul saw that what he had done for God was worthless “7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, 9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith” (Phil. 3:7-9).

 

            When a person trusts in Jesus Christ, He has become “to us wisdom from God and righteousness and sanctification, and redemption” as seen in 1 Cor. 1:30.  How does all of this work?  Well when God looks at imperfect, sinful believers, He sees His perfect, sinless Son. We have actually become, as Peter writes “partakers of the divine nature” (2 Pet. 1:4) and we posses in ourselves the very righteous life of the holy, eternal God.  Now one may say that after I became a believer that I don’t act like on all the time, and that is because we still have the flesh, which will be redeemed as seen in Romans 8:23 “And not only this, but also we ourselves, having the first fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our body.”  I will be glad when all that groaning is over and I will stand perfect in heaven before my Lord Jesus Christ, but until then my life is a battle that can only be won by the Spirit of God who lives in me.

 

            John MacArthur writes:  “If even God’s own law alone cannot make a person righteous, how much less can man-made traditions do so?  Those who insist on coming to God in their own way and in their own power will never reach Him; they ‘shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.’  No church, no ritual, no works, no philosophy, no system can bring a person to God.  Those who, through a church, through a cult, or simply through their own personal standards, try to work their way into God’s grace know nothing of what His grace is about.”

 

            Just like the scribes and the Pharisees were there are people today who have the same kind of self-righteousness that they think will get them into heaven and this is tragic.  People will pay any price, but will not accept the price that Jesus Christ paid for them.  People will do any work for God, but they will not accept the finished work that Christ has done for them on the cross.  They will accept any gift from God, like air to breathe, and food to eat, but they will not accept the gift of His free salvation.  These kind of people are religious but they are not regenerated, and they “shall not enter the kingdom of heaven.”

 

            MacArthur concludes this section and this chapter by writing “I am not setting God’s law aside,’ Jesus said.  ‘I will uphold God’s law, and I will strip it of all the barnacles of man-made tradition with which it has been encrusted.  I will reestablish its preeminence, its permanence, and its pertinence.  I will reaffirm the purpose God had for it from the beginning: to show that every person is a sinner and is incapable of fulfilling the law.  The one who lowers the standards to a level he can fulfill will be judged by God’s law and excluded from God’s grace.’”

 

8/3/2020 10:37 AM


No comments:

Post a Comment