Saturday, October 28, 2023

PT-3 "False Leaders Are Cursed For Their Inversion" (Matt. 23:23-24)

 

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/28/2023 8:39 AM

 

My Worship Time                           Focus: PT-3 "False Leaders Are Cursed For Their Inversion"

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                    Reference:  Matt. 23:23-24

 

            Message of the verses:  23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. 24 “You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!”

 

            Well the weather has changed in North Ridgeville, Ohio as it is getting colder and for the next three days or so we will have a lot of rain, and so with that said it was good to get, what is probably the last game of golf for this year in yesterday. 

 

            I want to pick up where we left off in yesterday’s SD by continue to talk about the weightier provisions of the law, but first I want to quote what MacArthur wrote before writing about that.  “The scribes and Pharisees were inequitable, unfair, unjust, unmerciful, brutal, unforgiving, unkind, greedy, and abusive of others.”  The scribes and the Pharisees everything in contrary to the weightier provisions of the law, and worst of all, they walked by sight rather than faith, as they trusted in their works rather than God’s grace.  Now as I continue to think about the true way of salvation which was provided by the Lord Jesus Christ as He died on the cross for sinners, I think that when a person like the scribes and Pharisees would try to do things that were pleasing to God in order to be saved what they were doing was in effect saying to God, “what You did for me is not enough, I have to do it on my own.”  In this section we see that Jesus did not denounce the tithing of herbs, which would have been perfectly acceptable if done in sincerity and in faith.  At that time tithing was still a valid requirement under the Old Covenant, Jesus certainly did not reprove tithing in general.  Jesus said “these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.”  MacArthur writes “In light of the fact that such garden plants had not generally been considered covered under the Mosaic laws of tithing until rabbinical times, it seems likely that by these…things Jesus was referring to tithing in general.  In other words, while being faithful to tithe according to scriptural instruction, they should not have neglected the Lord’s much weighter demands.”

 

            Now thinking about the tithe it was strictly a requirement of the Old Covenant, in fact it is only mentioned six times in the New Testament, three times in the gospels and in the book of Hebrews.  Now when I think about the gospel writing of the New Testament I think that during this time that people were actually still living under the Old Covenant and so in the gospels tithing is always used, as it is here, in regard to its abuse by the scribes and Pharisees, you can see this also in Luke 11:42 and in Luke 18:12.  Now in the book of Hebrews the Mosaic tithe is mentioned only in regard to its use in ancient Israel as seen in Heb. 7:8-9; vv. 5-6.  Now tithing is not mentioned in the New Testament as being binding on the church or even recommended as the standard for Christian giving.  MacArthur adds “This is easy to understand if one recognizes that tithes were a form of taxation to support the national life of Israel…The closest New Testament parallel is the requirement to pay taxes indicated in Romans 13:6-7.”  If you want more information on this MacArthur’s commentary on 1 Corinthians written in 1984 on pages454-455 would be helpful to look at.

 

            I have to say that when it came to giving to the church that my father would always say that tithing was the proper way of giving to the church.  He was not the most educated man but he would always give 10% to the church, and that seemed to rub off on me.  Once I first became a believer I did not go to church for four years, but did study the Bible and was helped by a new friend of mine who owned a Christian Book store, which is the first place that I went after I got saved while visiting a friend in Florida.  One day after getting to know this man and helping out in a ministry that he had started I bought a book from him and put a tithe in the check that I paid him with.  This however was not the first place that I tithed as I tithed to a ministry that was headed up in New Orleans.  However through some circumstances that I will not go into the Lord showed me not to tithe to that organization and so it went to what was called “Christian Wittiness Ministry until I joined a Baptist church some four years later.  I realize that tithing is not stressed in the New Testament, but I believe that tithing is a good place to begin your giving to the Lord’s work, and to my way of understanding tithing to the church where you are being feed the Word is where that portion of your giving should go.  My wife and I have had some difficult financial times in our life, much of it was my fault, but we never stopped giving our tithe to the Lord’s work and God has blessed us for being faithful in giving to the Lord.

 

            There is a little bit more to talk about in these verses, which Lord willing I will do it in my next SD.

 

10/28/2023 9:17 AM    

No comments:

Post a Comment