Friday, December 16, 2011

Psalm 3 Part-1

12/16/2011 10:09:27 AM



SPIRITUAL DIARY



My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  Psalm 3 PT-1



Bible Reading & Meditation                                                      Reference:  Psalm 3



            Message of the verses:  “1 ¶  «A Psalm of David, when he fled from Absalom his son.» O LORD, how my adversaries have increased! Many are rising up against me. 2  Many are saying of my soul, "There is no deliverance for him in God." Selah. 3  But You, O LORD, are a shield about me, My glory, and the One who lifts my head.

    “4 ¶  I was crying to the LORD with my voice, And He answered me from His holy mountain. Selah. 5  I lay down and slept; I awoke, for the LORD sustains me. 6  I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people Who have set themselves against me round about. 7  Arise, O LORD; save me, O my God! For You have smitten all my enemies on the cheek; You have shattered the teeth of the wicked. 8  Salvation belongs to the LORD; Your blessing be upon Your people! Selah.”



            Conflict:  He Admits His Troubles (vv.1-2):  I want to begin this SD by quoting Dr. Wiersbe’s commentary on the word “Sela,” which is a word that we will see many times in the book of Psalms.  “This is the first use of the word ‘Sela’ in Scripture; it is used seventy-one times in the Psalms and three times in Habakkuk 3.  Hebraists aren’t agreed whether it comes from words meaning ‘to lift up’ or ‘to be silent.’  If the first, then it might be a signal for louder voices or the lifting, and blowing the trumpets, perhaps even the lifting of hands to the Lord.  If the second, it could signal a pause, a moment of silence and meditation.”



            This is also the first time we see the words “A Psalm of David,” even though the second Psalm was written by David.  In the case of the second Psalm we see it attributed to David in the book of Acts. All of the psalms in book one were written by David with the exception of Psalms 1, 10, and 33. 

            We also see that this Psalm was written by David when Absalom was trying to take over the country as a result of David being disciplined by the Lord for his sin with Bathsheba and the killing of her husband.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “God in his grace forgave David when he confessed his sins (ps. 32 & ps. 51), but God in his government allowed David to reap the bitter consequences of those sins.”

            We can also see that the is a “morning” Psalm as opposed to Psalm 4, which was written about the same circumstances is an “evening” Psalm. 

            As this psalm begins we see David crying out to the Lord right away, something like Peter did when he began to sink in the water as seen in Matthew 14:30.  David was in trouble and so he got right to his prayer to the Lord, for he needed help in a hurry.  In verse two we see David saying to the Lord that many people were saying that this situation was without hope, yet David knew that the Lord can take care of any of the things that he was going through.  David knew this from experience as the Lord has saved him many times, and that is why many of the Psalms were written in praise to the Lord for saving David in times just like this.

            The story behind this psalm is found in 2Samuel starting with the rise of Absalom’s power, for Absalom was a man who had a hard time telling the truth, but loved to sooth the hearts of the people of Israel, thus making him very popular with them.  British statesman James Callaghan said, “A lie can be halfway around the world before the truth has got its boots on.”  Yes for some reason people love to hear lies and they can spread them like wildfire.

            Dr. Wiersbe writes this interesting statement, “The word ‘help’ in the Hebrew (yeshua) is translated ‘save’ in verse 7 and ‘salvation’ in verse 8 and gives us the names ‘Jesus’ (Matt. 1:21) and ‘Joshua.’  It’s used 136 times in the Psalms.”



            Spiritual meaning for my life today: As mentioned above David wrote many of his psalms because of the trouble that he found himself in.  He must have gained much confidence in the Lord from going through the many trials and tribulations that he went through from the beginning of his life when he was tending the sheep right up to the end of his life when people were trying to put the wrong son of his on the throne. 

            Paul writes to the Corinthians that they could comfort others because of the comfort that they were receiving from the Lord; they were to pass that comfort on.  All of this greatly encourages me and give me more faith in the Lord.  The Psalms are a wonderful place to read from when troubles have come my way.



My Steps of Faith for Today:



1.       Continue to trust the Lord in every situation that I face, knowing that He is on the throne and will guide me and direct me.

2.       Continue to learn contentment through life’s trials that I face.





12/16/2011 10:56:49 AM   

No comments:

Post a Comment