Friday, December 23, 2011

Psalm 6 Part-2

12/23/2011 9:14:46 AM



SPIRITUAL DIARY



My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  Psalm 6 PT-2



Bible Reading & Meditation                                                      Reference:  Psalm 6



            Message of the verses:  “1 ¶  «For the choir director; with stringed instruments, upon an eight-string lyre. A Psalm of David.» O LORD, do not rebuke me in Your anger, Nor chasten me in Your wrath. 2  Be gracious to me, O LORD, for I am pining away; Heal me, O LORD, for my bones are dismayed. 3  And my soul is greatly dismayed; But You, O LORD-how long? 4  Return, O LORD, rescue my soul; Save me because of Your lovingkindness. 5  For there is no mention of You in death; In Sheol who will give You thanks? 6  I am weary with my sighing; Every night I make my bed swim, I dissolve my couch with my tears. 7  My eye has wasted away with grief; It has become old because of all my adversaries.

    “8 ¶  Depart from me, all you who do iniquity, For the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping. 9  The LORD has heard my supplication, The LORD receives my prayer. 10  All my enemies will be ashamed and greatly dismayed; They shall turn back, they will suddenly be ashamed.”



            The Strain of Despair (vv. 5-7):  “5  For there is no mention of You in death; In Sheol who will give You thanks? 6  I am weary with my sighing; Every night I make my bed swim, I dissolve my couch with my tears. 7  My eye has wasted away with grief; It has become old because of all my adversaries.”

            Dr. Wiersbe points out that we are back to an evening psalm as we see in verse six that David has a hard time sleeping and it seems to be because of pain and as a result of the pain came tears as he would make his bed swim with tears.  This must be a very bad pain that David is going through and as we saw in Psalm 4:8 David spoke of restful sleep even though he was in trouble, but now sleep will not come.  God had a plan for David as he went through this difficult time, and one of the plans was to be able to write this psalm in order to help others who were in pain and having a hard time sleeping.

            Some people run from God when trouble comes, and some run to Him and then the Lord will cause them to grow in their relationship with Him.  Some people as what they will get out of their experiences of going through difficult times and even pain and others ask what CAN I get out of this.  Some will want God to make the difficult time go away, and sometimes God will do that, and some will ask God what He wants them to learn as they go through this difficult time.



            The Joy of Deliverance (vv.8-10):  “8 ¶  Depart from me, all you who do iniquity, For the LORD has heard the voice of my weeping. 9  The LORD has heard my supplication, The LORD receives my prayer. 10  All my enemies will be ashamed and greatly dismayed; They shall turn back, they will suddenly be ashamed.”

            We see a dramatic change in the direction of the psalm as David begins to praise the Lord for deliverance and speaks of the shame of his enemies as they turned back because of their shame.  We don’t know how long David had to wait for the answer to his prayer, or if the answer came when he wrote this section, for he could have had a great peace come over him and that was what he was writing about here in this section.  Regardless David received an answer to his prayers and a part of that answer was having his enemies be ashamed for trying to do harm to the Lord’s anointed.



            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have mentioned in earlier SD’s that for some time I have  had some difficulty with my prayer life, not that I don’t pray, but at times it seems like real word to pray, and I suppose that may even be kind of normal.  One thing I see in this psalm is the praise that David gives for answered prayer, and sometime this is missing in my life, for at times I am so happy about receiving an answer that I forget to praise the Lord for the answer.  This is something that should change, for the praise portion is as important as the praying portion.



My Steps of Faith for Today:



1.       In everything give thanks, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.

2.       Remember to praise the Lord for answered prayers.

3.       Continue to seek the help of the Lord to learn contentment.

4.       Put on the spiritual armor, and part of that armor is prayer.



12/23/2011 10:08:47 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment