Monday, August 20, 2012

God Answers His Children's Prayers (Psalm 116:1-4)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/20/2012 10:00:47 AM



My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  Psalm 116 PT-1



Bible Reading & Meditation                                                      Reference:  Psalm 116:1-4



            Message of the verses:  In Today’s SD we will begin to explore what is in Psalm 116, and the first thing we will do is look at several introductions from different Bible Commentators.  John MacArthur, in his Study Bible writes the following from the introduction of Psalm 113:  “Psalms 113-118 comprise a rich 6-psalm praise to God commonly called the ‘Egyptian Hallel’ (‘Hallel’ meaning praise in Hebrew).”  We will better be able to understand Spurgeon’s note after reading MacArthur’s note. 

“This is a continuation of the Paschal Hallel, and therefore must in some measure be interpreted in connection with the coming out of Egypt. It has all the appearance of being a personal song in which the believing soul, reminded by the Passover of its own bondage and deliverance, speaks thereof with gratitude, and praises the Lord accordingly.  We can conceive the Israelite with a staff in his hand singing, "Return unto thy rest, O my soul," as he remembered the going back of the house of Jacob to the land of their fathers; and then drinking the cup at the feast using the words of #Ps 116:13, "I will take the cup of salvation." The pious man evidently remembers both his own deliverance and that of his people as he sings in the language of #Ps 116:16, "Thou hast loosed my bonds"; but he rises into sympathy with his nation as he thinks of the courts of the Lord’s house and of the glorious city, and pledges himself to sing "in the midst of thee, O Jerusalem." Personal love fostered by a personal experience of redemption is the theme of this Psalm, and in it we see the redeemed answered when they pray, preserved in time of trouble, resting in their God, walking at large, sensible of their obligations, conscious that they are not their own but bought with a price, and joining with all the ransomed company to sing hallelujahs unto God.”  (Charles H. Spurgeon)



“This is an intensely personal ‘thank you’ psalm to the Lord for saving the psalmist from death (116:3, 8).  The occasion and author remain unknown, although the language used by Jonah in his prayer from the fish’s stomach is remarkably similar.  While this appears to deal with physical death, the same song could be sung by those who have been saved from spiritual death.

I.                     The Lord’s Response to the Psalmist Prayer for Deliverance from Death (116:1-11)

II.                   The Psalmist’s Reaction to God’s Deliverance of Him from Death (116:12-19)”  (The John MacArthur Study Bible)



“At a time when the psalmist was ‘at rest’ (v. 7), unscrupulous men whom he had trusted

lied about him (v. 11) and created trouble for him.  In fact, their deception almost cost him his life (vv. 3-4), but he called on the Lord and was saved from death (vv. 1-2).  The psalm is very personal, with ‘I,’ ‘my,’ and ‘me’ used over thirty times.  In expressing his praise to the Lord, the writer borrowed from other psalms, especially 18, 27, 31, and 56, and it appears the he knew the texts of King Hezekiah’s prayer (Isa. 37) and his psalm of thanksgiving (Isa 38).  As the psalmist reflected on his life-threatening experience, he discovered several reasons why the Lord God delivers people from danger and death.”  (Warren Wiersbe)



            God Answer His Children’s Prayers (vv. 1-4):  “1 ¶  I love the LORD, because He hears My voice and my supplications. 2  Because He has inclined His ear to me, Therefore I shall call upon Him as long as I live. 3  The cords of death encompassed me And the terrors of Sheol came upon me; I found distress and sorrow. 4  Then I called upon the name of the LORD: "O LORD, I beseech You, save my life!’”



            As I look at verse one I would have to say that one of the reasons that I love the Lord is because He hears me and He hears the praise that I offer Him, and He hears the prayers that I lift up to Him.  There are times, especially when I am alone in my car when I just talk to the Lord about the things that are going on in my life and I know that He listens to me, and that He cares about the things that are going on in my life, when perhaps no one else even knows about them or cares about them, but the Lord does, and as I says in verse two “He inclined His ear to me,” for this is so very important to me that God listens to me.  I am only one person on this planet of over seven billion people, yet I know that God hears my prayers, for He is that great and powerful, along with being wise and loving, and yet He is just and as I look around this world today I know that this world is not only in need of the love of God, but is also in great need of the justice of God.  One day, and I think it will be soon that the following words from Revelations 15:1  “Then I saw another sign in heaven, great and marvelous, seven angels who had seven plagues, which are the last, because in them the wrath of God is finished.”

            Verse three reminds me of Psalm 40: 2 “He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm.”  I suppose that I have only had one time in my life when I thought that I was going to die, and for that matter if my sister had not pulled me up out of the water I would have drowned, for I had just came up for the third time and I had never even had my head under water, so I suppose that I would have drowned.  Perhaps the psalmist is speaking of a spiritual moment when he came to know the Lord in a personal way, and I can surely understand that situation.

            In verse four the psalmist again asks the Lord to save His life and we will find out that this is what the Lord did for him.  We see in this and many other situations like it in the OT that people went through difficult situations and were saved from them by the Lord so that we who live in our day and age can read about them and have the confidence that God will do the same for us too.  Paul writes about this when he says, “Ro 15:4  For whatever was written in earlier times was written for our instruction, so that through perseverance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.”  “Now these things happened to them as an example, and they were written for our instruction, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.”  (1Cor. 10:11)



            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I really have a hard time understanding how people can live their lives without the hope that is found in the Word of God.  It greaves me to see people try and answer the problems of life with the constant help that is found in the Word of God.  The psalmist had the right approach as we see in these first four verses and that is to call upon the Lord for whom he knew he would get an answer.  When one thinks about it the person who has put his trust and faith in the risen Lord, the worst thing that can happen to him is that he will die, and then the best thing will happen to him, and that is absent from the body means you are present with the Lord.



My Steps of Faith for Today:  Continue to Abide in the Vine.  (John chapter 15)



Memory verses for the week:  2Peter 1:8-11

8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.  9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten the purification from his former sins. 10 Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, your will never stumble, 11 for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom or our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.



8/20/2012 11:26:19 AM  



           







           

No comments:

Post a Comment