Sunday, August 26, 2012

Trust the Lord in Every Crisis (Psalm 118:5-14)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 8/26/2012 7:51:40 AM

 

My Worship Time                                                                     Focus:  Psalm 118 PT-2

 

Bible Reading & Meditation                                                      Reference:  Psalm 118:5-14

 

            Message of the verses:  In yesterday’s SD we began to look at Psalm 118, which is the psalm that is between the shortest and the longest psalms that are found in the Bible.  We learned through several introductions that it is difficult to truly understand who the author was or when the psalm was written as some thought the author was David, and one even thought it was Moses.  At the end of his introduction Dr. Wiersbe wrote the following in order to show us the direction that we will be going while studying this psalm:  “—the psalm speaks to all believers in every age and gives them four practical instructions.”  We looked at the first instruction in yesterday’s SD and will continue with the second in today’s SD.

 

            Trust the Lord in Every Crisis (vv. 5-14):  “5  From my distress I called upon the LORD; The LORD answered me and set me in a large place. 6  The LORD is for me; I will not fear; What can man do to me? 7  The LORD is for me among those who help me; Therefore I will look with satisfaction on those who hate me. 8  It is better to take refuge in the LORD Than to trust in man. 9  It is better to take refuge in the LORD Than to trust in princes. 10  All nations surrounded me; In the name of the LORD I will surely cut them off. 11  They surrounded me, yes, they surrounded me; In the name of the LORD I will surely cut them off. 12  They surrounded me like bees; They were extinguished as a fire of thorns; In the name of the LORD I will surely cut them off. 13  You pushed me violently so that I was falling, But the LORD helped me. 14  The LORD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation.”

 

            We see the “LORD” mentioned eleven times in these ten verses and it is because He is the One protected Israel from their enemies and He is the One who enabled the people to complete the work in difficult times.  (Now we must remember that Dr. Wiersbe believes that this 118th Psalm was written after the Jews returned from their captivity in Babylon and since much of my help comes from Dr. Wiersbe, along with other commentators, this commentary may slant towards the psalm being written after the captivity.)  I must say that what is found in these ten verses could well fit in with the times when the Jews returned from captivity since there was a lot of trouble during that time period from 537 when they first returned until the time when the Jews finished the temple and the walls around the city of Jerusalem as seen in the books of Ezra and Nehemiah.  The Jews laid the foundation of the temple in 536 BC but because of troubles from local officials it was stopped and then resumed in 520 BC.  Israel was surrounded by their enemies similar to what they are today, but God is and always has been the protector of Israel, and continues to be that today even though most of them today do not realize this.  We see from Ezekiel’s writings in chapters 36-37 that God would bring Israel back to their land in the “last days” and that the last thing that would come to them was the Spirit, for they would come into the land not truly realizing that it was the hand of God who brought them back there, not realizing that it was during the “last days.”  When you look at Israel today you can see this, especially in the generations that followed those who came out of WW-II who mostly came from the holocaust in Europe during that time.  In some ways this is good since the younger Jews that are living there today do not follow the Jewish religion and are more open to the gospel.

            So we can see that when Israel came back to their land there was a time of great trouble and so perhaps this psalm speaks of their trouble and their dependence upon the Lord during this time period, but we can also learn from these words that the psalmist writes when we as believers go through difficult times in our lives, knowing that the Lord will see us through those difficult times, and if we cling to the Lord we can learn to trust Him more and more as the psalmist was learning.  The psalmist learned to trust the Lord and not trust in man.  This is also true in trusting the gifts that the Lord has given to us and forget about trusting the Giver of the gifts.  I have also learned this from some difficult times that I have gone through.

 

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Trusting the Lord in all situations of my life is the best and one of the reasons is that He does not change, and also I know that He loves me as was demonstrated at the cross.

 

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust in the Giver of the gifts and not in the gifts that the Giver has given to me.

 

8/26/2012 8:43:36 AM  

No comments:

Post a Comment