Thursday, January 2, 2014

Prophecies About Persia from Daniel 11:1-2

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 1/2/2014 9:58 AM
My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  Prophecies About Persia
Bible Reading & Meditation                                                 Reference:  Daniel 11:1-2
            Message of the verses:  I am not exactly how long ago this story took place, but probably at least twenty years ago.  I was going to a church that I had joined four years after I became a believer in Jesus Christ, and I was sitting in a Sunday School class studying the book of Daniel.  I enjoyed the man’s teaching who was teaching us about Daniel as he was very precise in his teaching, probably because that was his profession.  At any rate when we got to the tenth chapter of Daniel he made the statement that the first section of Daniel eleven he got his material to teach us from the library.  Now this was before the days of the internet so the old fashion way of doing things was to research things in the library.  But how could things about the book of Daniel be in a public library?  Well they were in there because Daniel’s book prophesized about future history that would and did take place, however there is a portion of this eleventh chapter of Daniel that has not taken place, but just as the first parts of his prophecies took place, so the last part will also take place.
            It is the book of Daniel and the eleventh chapter of the book of Daniel that the critics of the Bible have said could not have been written before they took place.  I have no problem that the God I worship can cause a person, through the power of His Spirit to write down things before they happen.  It was by the Word of God that the heavens and the earth and all we see were created, so how big a problem is it for God to write about things that haven’t yet taken place, take place?  Not a problem at all!  I think that when we studied the ninth chapter of Daniel that I mentioned a book written by Sir Robert Anderson called “The Coming Prince.” We he wrote another book entitled “Daniel in the Critics Den” that tells of the accuracy of the book of Daniel in spite of all the critics.
            Dr. Wiersbe writes at the conclusion of his introduction for chapter eleven, which he has entitled “A Remarkable Prophecy—Part 1” “First, we will consider the verses that were prophecy in Daniel’s day but have been fulfilled and are now ancient history.  As we do, we will try to glean some practical spiritual lessons to help us in our Christian walk today.”  Dr. Wiersbe has broken up the eleventh chapter of Daniel into two different chapters in his commentary on Daniel.  His commentary on Daniel is entitled “Be Resolute.” 
            Prophecies about Persia (Daniel 11:1-2):  “1 "In the first year of Darius the Mede, I arose to be an encouragement and a protection for him. 2 “And now I will tell you the truth. Behold, three more kings are going to arise in Persia. Then a fourth will gain far more riches than all of them; as soon as he becomes strong through his riches, he will arouse the whole empire against the realm of Greece.”
            In order for us to better understand this first verse Dr. Wiersbe writes:  “It’s likely that verse 1 should be at the end of the previous chapter since it deals with the holy angels’ conflict with Satan’s angels.  The rulers of Persia had no idea that Satan was seeking to control their minds and lead them into making decisions that would hurt the people of God.  The Persian rulers were much more considerate of the Jews than were the Babylonian rulers, and Satan didn’t want this to happen.  He hates the Jews and is the father of anti-Semitism wherever it is found (Rev. 12).  However, Michael and Gabriel won that battle and Darius and Cyrus showed that compassion for the Jewish exiles.  In fact, it was Cyrus who issued the important edict that permitted the Jews to return to their land and rebuild their temple (Ezra 1:1-4).
            As we look at the second verse we see that the angel tells Daniel that there will be three more kings that will arise in Persia and that the last one will be extremely rich and will invade Greece.  The names of the four kings of Persia were Cambyses (539-522), Pseudo Smerdis (522-521), Darius I Hystapes (521-486), and Xerxes (496-465), the Ahasuerus of the Book of Daniel.   I got this material from Dr. Wiersbe’s book and I do not know if there is a typo for Hystapes’ rule as it seems to go into the rule of Xerxes.  After doing a little research on this I find that there is a typo and that Xerxes should begin in the year 486.
            Xerxes is the richest of the kings as Daniel wrote and he did attack the Greek’s and was defeated and then he came home to find comfort in his harem, and this is where Ester is involved in the story which can be seen in the book of Ester.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “Xerxes was assassinated in August 465.”
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As I look, read, and study the book of Daniel I can see many truths in it, truths that I can and should put into practice in my life.  I can see that Daniel is a man of prayer and a man who obeys the teachings of the Lord, two things I should put into practice in my life.  Daniel trusted the Lord more than any other thing in his life even though at times, from the perspective of a human logic and thinking it could have cost him his life.  Now if the things that Daniel wrote about in this eleventh chapter of Daniel have already come true, and they have then I can trust the Lord to work out things in my life, and I should be able to remember these things so that my faith will grow, and my walk with the Lord will also grow and become stronger.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust the Lord and also remember Proverbs 3:5-6.
Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “Josiah” (2 Kings 22:3-5).
Today’s Bible Question “Who divided the Bible into chapters?” 
Answer in our next SD.

1/2/2014 11:23 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment