Monday, February 3, 2014

Judah Was very Ungrateful to the Lord from Jeremiah 5:7-9

SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 2/3/2014 8:15 PM
My Worship Time                                                   Focus:  Condemnation:  They were ungrateful
Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Jeremiah 5:7-9
            Message of the verses:  “7 “Why should I pardon you? Your sons have forsaken Me And sworn by those who are not gods. When I had fed them to the full, They committed adultery And trooped to the harlot’s house. 8 “They were well-fed lusty horses, Each one neighing after his neighbor’s wife. 9 “Shall I not punish these people," declares the LORD, "And on a nation such as this Shall I not avenge Myself?”
            We see two questions that are ask of God to the people of Judah:  1) Why should I pardon you?  2) Shall I not punish these people?  We also see that God feed them until they were full in verse seven, and yet they used His gifts in order to commit sin and serve their idols.  One can see why the Lord was upset with the children of Israel at this time.  I want to quote a few verses from the book of Proverbs that helps me put some of what is happening in perspective:  “7  Two things I asked of You, Do not refuse me before I die: 8  Keep deception and lies far from me, Give me neither poverty nor riches; Feed me with the food that is my portion, 9  That I not be full and deny You and say, "Who is the LORD?" Or that I not be in want and steal, And profane the name of my God (Proverbs 30:7-9).”  The people of Judah and also of the Northern Kingdom were so satisfied with the gifts that the Lord had given them that they forgot to worship the Giver of the gifts.  Question:  Are we doing the same thing in our nation at this time?
            Dr. Wiersbe finishes this section with the following statement:  “The idolatrous nations in Canaan conducted a worship that was unbelievably immoral.  In their minds, consorting with the temple prostitutes could guarantee a fruitful harvest.  Baal was the storm god who provided the needed rain.  Thus when the Lord held back the rain to warn His people, they turned to the tempe prostitutes, but these prostitutes found other ways to carry on their trade and satisfy the desires they had inflamed in the men of Judah.  Not unlike society today, the people worshiped sex and saw nothing wrong with what they were doing.”
            In our country when the XXX movies first came out many people were upset with them, but not so much today.  They cause great temptations to many believers in today’s Church.
            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  Temptation is very difficult to overcome, and in order to overcome it one must not dwell on what one is being tempted of when it first comes into one’s mind.
My Steps of Faith for Today:  Mark 14:38 “"Keep watching and praying that you may not come into temptation; the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.’”
Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “If we love Him, Keep His commandments.”
Today’s Bible Question:  “Who said ‘Give me a man, that we may fight together?”  (This is a difficult one)
Answer in our next SD.

2/3/2014 8:34 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment