Tuesday, September 9, 2014

The Nations Disgrace (Lam. 1:12-22)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 9/9/2014 9:47 AM

My Worship Time                                                                  Focus:  The Nations Disgrace PT-2

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Lamentations 1:12-22

            Message of the verses:  We will try and finish our look at the first chapter in the book of Lamentations in today’s SD.  I wanted to include another Lamentation over the city of Jerusalem from the lips of our Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ when he says: “37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem, who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, the way a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were unwilling. 38 “Behold, your house is being left to you desolate! 39  "For I say to you, from now on you will not see Me until you say, ’BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD!’"(Matthew 23:37-39).”  Jesus said these words just days before He hung on the cross to pay for our sins.

            The Plea of the City for Sympathy and Help (Lamentations 1:12-22):  “12 "Is it nothing to all you who pass this way? Look and see if there is any pain like my pain Which was severely dealt out to me, Which the LORD inflicted on the day of His fierce anger. 13 “From on high He sent fire into my bones, And it prevailed over them. He has spread a net for my feet; He has turned me back; He has made me desolate, Faint all day long. 14 “The yoke of my transgressions is bound; By His hand they are knit together. They have come upon my neck; He has made my strength fail. The Lord has given me into the hands Of those against whom I am not able to stand. 15  "The Lord has rejected all my strong men In my midst; He has called an appointed time against me To crush my young men; The Lord has trodden as in a wine press The virgin daughter of Judah. 16 “For these things I weep; My eyes run down with water; Because far from me is a comforter, One who restores my soul. My children are desolate Because the enemy has prevailed." 17 Zion stretches out her hands; There is no one to comfort her; The LORD has commanded concerning Jacob That the ones round about him should be his adversaries; Jerusalem has become an unclean thing among them. 18  "The LORD is righteous; For I have rebelled against His command; Hear now, all peoples, And behold my pain; My virgins and my young men Have gone into captivity. 19 “I called to my lovers, but they deceived me; My priests and my elders perished in the city While they sought food to restore their strength themselves. 20 “See, O LORD, for I am in distress; My spirit is greatly troubled; My heart is overturned within me, For I have been very rebellious. In the street the sword slays; In the house it is like death. 21 “They have heard that I groan; There is no one to comfort me; All my enemies have heard of my calamity; They are glad that You have done it. Oh, that You would bring the day which You have proclaimed, That they may become like me. 22 “Let all their wickedness come before You; And deal with them as You have dealt with me For all my transgressions; For my groans are many and my heart is faint."”

            As we scan over this passage we can see many references of the Lord, or in some cases the word “He” is used to reference the Lord.  We see that the Lord afflicted the people of Jerusalem in 12a, and The Lord delivered Jerusalem into the enemies hands in 14b; and the Lord trampled the people under His feet in verse 15; and then we see that the Lord commanded the enemy to attack from verse 17; next the Lord is righteous in verse 18.  What can we learn from these statements about the Lord?  Jeremiah is teaching us that the Lord is in control, which speaks of the sovereignty of the Lord, which is one of His attributes.  There is a great division of history in how the Lord is dealing with the people on planet earth when the Babylonians overtook the people of Judah and destroyed the city of Jerusalem.  This brought in the times of the Gentiles and that time is still going on right now, even today.  I realize that the Jews went back to Jerusalem, but they never were in sovereign control of Israel from the time that the Babylonians overtook them in 586 BC until May of 1948, but we are still living in the times of the Gentiles even though God has brought Israel back to their land.  When will the times of the Gentiles end?  We get a hint of this when we read the following from “Lu 21:24 and they will fall by the edge of the sword, and will be led captive into all the nations; and Jerusalem will be trampled underfoot by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.”  Jesus is speaking about this from Luke chapter 12, which is a chapter that is what is called “The Olivet Discourse, and is also seen in Matthew chapter 24, and Mark chapter 13.  In this discourse Jesus is speaking about the tribulation period and it will be at the end of the tribulation period when our Lord returns to planet earth and at that time will end the times of the Gentiles.  Now back to Lamentations.

            We have stated that it was because of the sin of Judah, and the fact that they had broken their covenant with the Lord that He used the Babylonians to defeat Judah and destroy Jerusalem.  From our study of Jeremiah we saw that if the Jews would have listened to Jeremiah and not fought against the Babylonians that God would not have allowed them to destroy the city and the temple, but they did not listen and so the Babylonians treated them very badly, which in turn caused the Lord to treat them in the same way.  God’s anger is a holy anger which is directed against sin.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “According to the law of Moses, if a priest’s daughter was guilty of immorality, she was burned to death (Lev. 21:9).  Israel was a kingdom of priests (Ex. 19:6), but she betrayed the Lord and consorted with idols.”

            Dr. Wiersbe writes “The people who had been freed from bondage by the Lord were now under the yoke of a pagan foreign nation (v. 14).”  John Gill writes the following on the first part of verse 14: “The yoke of my transgressions is bound by his hand, &c.] That is, the punishment of her sins was laid upon her by the Lord himself; his hand was in it; it came from him; the Chaldeans were only instruments; and a heavy yoke this was.  Yes it was a heavy yoke indeed.  Dr. Wiersbe then writes “Sin always promises freedom but brings bondage.”  This is true and the old gospel song says that sin will take you farther than you’ll want to go, slowly and surely taking control. 

            We do not find anyone who wants to help out the Jews at this time, and we also see that Jeremiah sheds many tears over them even though he was the one who had told them to repent so that this calamity would not come upon them.

            We have learned, and it is spoken again from this passage that the rulers of Judah had looked to other nations for help, but did not get any.  God wanted them to look to Him for help, but they trusted their “lovers” for help.  Both Isaiah and Jeremiah told them not to trust Egypt, but they did.  (Isaiah 31 and Jeremiah 2:18, 36 speaks of this.) 

            Verse 19 reads as follows “"I called to my lovers, but they deceived me; My priests and my elders perished in the city While they sought food to restore their strength themselves.”  John Gill writes “I called for my lovers, [but] they deceived me, &c.] Either her idols, with whom she had committed spiritual adultery, that is, idolatry; but these could not answer her expectations, and help her: or the Egyptians, that courted her friendship, and with whom she was in alliance, and in whom she trusted; and these, in the times of her distress, she called upon to make good their engagements, but they disappointed her, and stood not to their covenant and promises, but left her to stand and fall by herself; this Jerusalem said, according to the Targum, when she was delivered into the hands of Nebuchadnezzar; but these words, "they deceived me," it makes to be the Romans, that came with Titus and Vespasian, and built bulwarks against Jerusalem:

 

my priests and mine elders gave up the ghost in the city; or died in the city of Jerusalem; not by the sword of the enemy, but through famine; and so, in the Arabic language, the word <Arabic> {i} signifies to labor under famine, and want of food, and perish through it; and if this was the case of their priests that officiated in holy things, and of their elders or civil magistrates, what must be the case of the common people?

 

while they sought their meat to relieve their souls; or "fetch {k} [them] back"; which were just fainting and dying away through hunger; and who did expire while they were begging their bread, or inquiring in one place after another where they could get any, either freely or for money.”

            The priests were to be feed from the people, but this did not happen because the people had no food for themselves because of the harshness of the Babylonians.

            We will now look at a section of the covenant that God had made with Israel that is found in Deuteronomy 28: 32, 50:  “"Your sons and your daughters shall be given to another people, while your eyes look on and yearn for them continually; but there will be nothing you can do.  A nation of fierce countenance who will have no respect for the old, nor show favor to the young.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  As I have seen the distress that Judah has gone because of their sin, I learn that my trust needs to be in the Lord and not in other things that are called idols.  One of my memory verses speaks of this:  “Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.”  (Colossians 3:5)

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Remember this verse when tempted by the things that it speaks of.

Memory verses for the week:  Colossians 3:1-8.

1 Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.  2 Set your mind on things above, not on the things that are on earth.  3 For you have died and your life is hidden with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is your life is revealed, they you also will be revealed with Him in glory.  5 Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.  6 For it is because of these things that the wrath of God has come upon the sons of disobedience; 7 and in them you once walked, when you were living in them. 8 But now you also, put them all aside: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth. 

Answer to yesterdays Bible question:  “Manna.”

Today’s Bible question:  “The fourth man with the three Hebrews in the fiery furnace had the form of whom?”

Answer in our next SD.

9/9/2014 10:54 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment