Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Accepting the Burden of the Lord PT-1 (Ezekiel 2:1-2)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/28/2014 9:19 AM

My Worship Time                                                 Focus:  Accepting the Burden of the Lord PT-1

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  Ezekiel 2:1-2

            Message of the verses:  We have now moved into the second chapter of Ezekiel and also the second main point as we follow the outline of Warren Wiersbe’s commentary on Ezekiel.  There are four sub-points under this second main point and we will look at the first one in today’s SD.  We will first do a brief introduction to this main point.

            I am sometimes amazed at the timing of the Lord and how wonderful and perfect it is for my life.  A few months ago I became burdened with our neighborhood and their need for the Lord and so it seemed to me that God was pulling at the strings of my heart to begin a Bible Study on the end times and so I wrote a short letter and passed out twenty of them around our neighborhood choosing to have the first study on the 28th of October, which is today.  I have been praying that the Lord will bring the people to this Bible study that He wants there.  You see that a couple of years ago I prayed that I will learn contentment in my life, but it seems the one thing that causes me not to have contentment is the location where I live, and have lived all of my life, but God burdened me for my neighbors and this is much more important than just picking up and leaving my neighborhood just to be happier, but not fulfilled.  Now today in my Spiritual Diary as I read about the commission of the prophet Ezekiel, and read the introduction to this portion of Scripture that we will be looking at for the next four days my heart rejoices over the timing of God to show me that what I am doing is what God wants me to do.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “Ezekiel was now to receive his official commission as a prophet of the Lord God, and the Lord told him he was facing a very difficult task.  Whether it’s raising a family, teaching a Sunday School class, shepherding a church or evangelizing in a distant nation, we have to accept people as they are before we can lead them to what God wants them to be.  God gave Ezekiel four important commandments to obey.”  Now I am not saying that I am being commissioned as a prophet, but I am doing what I believe God wants me to do, and I am finding contentment in doing this.

            Stand and listen (Ezekiel 2:1-2): “1 Then He said to me, "Son of man, stand on your feet that I may speak with you!" 2 As He spoke to me the Spirit entered me and set me on my feet; and I heard Him speaking to me.”

            From looking at the book of Ezekiel before and reading it at least a half-dozen times I know that God calls him “son of man” but did not realize that we will see this title 93 times as we go through this book. 

            Remember that Ezekiel was overwhelmed at the glory of the Lord and had fallen on his face, which is where we left him in our last SD, but now God tells him to stand up in this first verse of chapter two and so he has the strength given to him by the Lord to stand up.  Now it was almost ten years ago that I was doing another end times Bible study in our home and the Lord blessed it beyond measure as eventually there were over twenty people come to know the Lord through this study.  It was a week before Thanksgiving on a Wednesday morning that I was awakened around four AM and I know that the Lord was speaking to my heart and what He was saying to my heart that it was not me who caused the people in our Bible Study to get saved, but Him.  I don’t remember exactly how many who had gotten saved by this time, but at least five people.  I am not a person who wants to go by “feelings” but I have never felt like this before in my life as I was weak and crying before the Lord, so much so that my wife even noticed it.  Again I am not saying that what I felt was like what Ezekiel felt when he saw the glory of the Lord, but I know that God was speaking to my heart at that time ten years ago, and I will never forget that as long as I live.  My prayer is that God will do another work through this Bible study that we begin this evening that God will send people to it that He through His Spirit will call to salvation.

            By the way “son of man” is a messianic title and was also given to Daniel in Daniel 8:17.  The Lord Jesus also applied this name to Himself over eighty times as seen in the Gospels.  Dr. Wiersbe points out that “in the case of Daniel and Ezekiel, the title ‘son of man’ emphasized their humanity and mortality.  Ezekiel was facedown in the dust when God spoke to him, reminding him and us of mankind’s humble beginning in the dust (Gen. 1:26; 3:19).  ‘For He knows our frame; He remembers that we are dust’ (Ps. 103:14 NKJV).  God remembers but sometimes we forget.”

            God reminded Joshua that there was a time to fall down and a time to rise up.  “6 Then Joshua tore his clothes and fell to the earth on his face before the ark of the LORD until the evening, both he and the elders of Israel; and they put dust on their heads. 7 Joshua said, "Alas, O Lord GOD, why did You ever bring this people over the Jordan, only to deliver us into the hand of the Amorites, to destroy us? If only we had been willing to dwell beyond the Jordan! 8 “O Lord, what can I say since Israel has turned their back before their enemies? 9 "For the Canaanites and all the inhabitants of the land will hear of it, and they will surround us and cut off our name from the earth. And what will You do for Your great name?"  10 So the LORD said to Joshua, "Rise up! Why is it that you have fallen on your face? 11 “Israel has sinned, and they have also transgressed My covenant which I commanded them. And they have even taken some of the things under the ban and have both stolen and deceived. Moreover, they have also put them among their own things (Joshua 7:6-12).”  It was now time for Ezekiel to stand up and to do the work that God had for him to do.  We will see as we go through this book that the Spirit of God will need to lift him up in order for him to accomplish the things that He has for him to do.

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I pray that God will bring the people to our Bible study that He wants there and that He will lift me up with the words that He wants me to speak to those who He draws to our study.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust that the Lord will bless our Bible study.

Memory verses for the week:  Colossians 3:8-11.

8 But now you also, put them all aside:  anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.  9 Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices; 10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created him—11 a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian and Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible Question:  “John Mark” (Acts 15:37-38).

Today’s Bible question:  “Which book records an army of 185,000 men destroyed in one night?”

Answer in our next SD.

10/28/2014 10:26 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment