Monday, October 13, 2014

Do Not Be Deceived (2 Thess. 2:3a)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/12/2014 10:46 AM

My Worship Time                                                                                Focus:  Do not be Deceived

Bible Reading & Meditation                                     Reference:  2 Thessalonians 2:3a

            Message of the verse:  “Let no one in any way deceive you.”

            One of the things that I try to pray about each day is Proverbs 3:5-6 and there is also a quote from a book that is written by Charles Stanley and both the Proverb and the quote help me to keep from being deceived:  “Pray that the Lord will give me wisdom in all of the decisions that I have to make today.  Proverbs 3:5-6 says “5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him, And He will make your paths straight.”   “I’m putting on the belt of truth.  I ask You to make it very clear to me what I am to accept into my life and what I am to reject.  Help me to see clearly the motives of others as they deal with me and converse with me.  Let me walk in Your truth, making decisions and choices according to Your plans and purposes for my life.”  This quote comes from a book by Charles Stanley on the spiritual struggles of a believer and what to do to prevent these troubles.”  The reason that I do this is because I have been deceived on a number of occasions and do not want that to happen to me again.  The people in the Thessalonian church were deceived about the Day of the Lord and that is one of the reasons that Paul sent this letter to them, to show them that they were not in the Day of the Lord.  John MacArthur writes the following on the word “deceive”:  “Paul’s command is a strong prohibition.  The compound verb exapatao (Deceive), a strengthened from the verb apaitao, means ‘to deceive completely,’ or ‘to delude.’  The apostle also used a double negative (me tis; medena), saying in effect, ‘Do not let anyone by any means or any method lead you astray in any way.’  There was really no excuse for the Thessalonians to have been so gullible, despite the seemingly convincing forged letter.  They should have realized that Paul would not abruptly contradict in a letter what he had so recently taught them in person and in his first epistle.  The Thessalonians’ gullibility was an emotional reaction to the stress of their situation.  However, truth is not determined by emotions or circumstances, but by Scripture.  Believers must allow biblical truth and theology to rise above every situation.”

            When we know that the Lord Jesus Christ will return to earth, and know the circumstances to which He will return to we have a wonderful truth that helps us share Christ with others.  By the grace of God I will begin a Bible Study in our home later on this month, and I am praying and trusting the Lord to bring the people that He wants to come in order for me to tell them what the Bible teaches about the endtimes.  This was what God showed me just before He saved me and because of this I want to tell others about it too.  Peter writes to believers in his last letter that is recorded in the Bible and tells them that in the end the world will be burned up, it will be uncreated, and the reason that he tells them this is because he wants to urge them to live lives that are pleasing to the Lord.  This is one of the wonderful reasons why we as believers should know about the end times, and the Thessalonians were being deceived about this truth and therefore were afraid that they had already missed the rapture and this was dishearten to them. 

            MacArthur ends his commentary with the following paragraph:  “A correct hope in the Lord’s return produces not only accountability and purity but also joy.  Fearing that they would experience the horrors of the Day of the Lord robbed the Thessalonians of joy.  That fear also robbed them of the hope of the Lord’s promise to ‘keep (them) from the hour of testing, that hour which is about to come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth’ (Rev. 3:10).  To avoid losing the purity and joy of true hope the Thessalonians needed to remember the truths Paul had taught them.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I do not want ever to be deceived again, and I want to have the correct motives in learning and teaching about the end times.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Proverbs 3:5-6.

Memory verses for the week:  Colossians 3:5-11.

            5 Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry.  6 For it is because of these things that the wrath of God has come upon the children of disobedience; 7 and in them you once walked, when you were living in them.

            8 But now you also, put them all aside:  anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.  9 Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, 10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who made him- 11 a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave and freemen, but Christ is all, and in all.”

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Sheba” (1 Kings 10:3).

Today’s Bible question:  “Who was Joseph’s first master in Egypt?”

Answer in our next SD.

10/12/2014 11:30 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment