Friday, October 31, 2014

Accepting the burden of the Lord PT-4 (Ezek. 2:8-3:3)


SPIRITUAL DIARY FOR 10/31/2014 10:44 AM

My Worship Time                                                  Focus:  Accepting the burden of the Lord PT-4

Bible Reading & Meditation                         Reference:  Ezekiel 2:8-3:3

            Message of the verses:  We will be looking at the final sub-point from this second main point as we follow the outline of Warren Wiersbe from his commentary on the book of Ezekiel.

            Receive the Word within (Ezekiel 2:8-3:3):  “8 "Now you, son of man, listen to what I am speaking to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house. Open your mouth and eat what I am giving you." 9 Then I looked, and behold, a hand was extended to me; and lo, a scroll was in it. 10 When He spread it out before me, it was written on the front and back, and written on it were lamentations, mourning and woe.

    1 Then He said to me, "Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel." 2 So I opened my mouth, and He fed me this scroll. 3 He said to me, "Son of man, feed your stomach and fill your body with this scroll which I am giving you." Then I ate it, and it was sweet as honey in my mouth.”

            We will first look at different Scriptures that speak of eating the Word of God.  Job writes “"I have not departed from the command of His lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food (Job 23:12).”  Job is saying that the Word of God is more important than food to him, or at least more necessary than food.  “"He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD Deut. 8:3).”  Moses is speaking of the manna that God fed the children of Israel in the wilderness while they were wondering around for forty years because of their unbelief.  Jesus spoke a portion of this verse while Satan was tempting Him in the wilderness asking Him to make food out of a rock.  Jesus is stating the same thing that Job stated that the Word of God is more necessary than food.  Now I am not saying that we can live only on the Word of God, for we are physical beings and need food to survive, but there are times when it is more necessary to feast on the Word of God than to eat.  Think of John chapter four when Jesus was speaking to the woman at the well and His disciples came back from town with food for Him to eat and Jesus said to them:  “"I have food to eat that you do not know about’ (John 4:32).”  Next we read the following from the book of Jeremiah: “Your words were found and I ate them, And Your words became for me a joy and the delight of my heart; For I have been called by Your name, O LORD God of hosts (Jeremiah 15:16).”  Lastly we will look at the book of Revelations and see what happened to the apostle John:  “8 Then the voice which I heard from heaven, I heard again speaking with me, and saying, "Go, take the book which is open in the hand of the angel who stands on the sea and on the land." 9 So I went to the angel, telling him to give me the little book. And he *said to me, "Take it and eat it; it will make your stomach bitter, but in your mouth it will be sweet as honey." 10 I took the little book out of the angel’s hand and ate it, and in my mouth it was sweet as honey; and when I had eaten it, my stomach was made bitter. 11 And they *said to me, "You must prophesy again concerning many peoples and nations and tongues and kings’ (Rev. 10:8-11).”  John found out what Ezekiel will find out as we go through the book of Ezekiel we will see that the Word of God is sweet when you read it, but when you tell it to others and they do not listen to what you have told them they will have judgment come upon them and at that time it will be sour to his stomach as it was to John, for what John was going to see was the harshest judgment to come upon mankind for he will actually see the Day of the Lord in the vision that he had when he wrote the book of Revelations.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “God’s prophets must speak from within their hearts or their messages will not be authentic.”

            When Ezekiel saw the scroll that he was about to eat he found out that it was full of lament and mourning and also woe.  Dr. Wiersbe concludes that it is possible that this scroll contained the messages that were given to Ezekiel that are found in chapters four and also chapter thirty-two.  We will see God’s judgment on Jerusalem and also the gentile nations in those chapters.  In our first SD on Ezekiel we quoted the outline from Dr. Wiersbe’s commentary on Ezekiel and the second point was the fall of Jerusalem which covered chapters 4-24, and then the third point covered the judgment of the nations which covers chapters 25-32. 

            I mentioned that John’s scroll caused bitterness in his stomach, and in Ezekiel 3:14 we see that the same thing happened to Ezekiel.  So the Spirit lifted me up and took me away; and I went embittered in the rage of my spirit, and the hand of the LORD was strong on me.”

            God first shows Ezekiel all His glory before He commissions him to fulfill what He has for him to do, and because of this Ezekiel can rely on that vision when things got difficult.  When we look at our Lord in the NT we see that three of His disciples had the privilege of seeing Him transformed on the mountain and saw His glory there, and then they all saw Him in His glorified body even as He was lifted up into heaven.  My point here is that they too had the courage of doing what He called them to do because they knew that He had the power to aid them in their work and also they knew that no matter what happened to them that they would one day be with the Lord in glory.  Ezekiel knew the same thing.  When we look at the 7th chapter of Acts we see that Stephen saw the glory of the Lord right before he was stoned for the cause of Christ and all fear left him and he even did as the Lord did in asking God not to hold this sin against them.  Dr. Wiersbe writes “The only motivation that never fails is doing all for the glory of God.”

            Spiritual meaning for my life today:  I have had one of the worst weeks spiritually this week than I can remember in a long time and I need also to see the glory of the Lord as Ezekiel did to get me through this week.  As I read these verses and see what they mean at least I know what I need, and pray that God will strengthen me as he did Ezekiel and also did for Daniel and John the Apostle.

My Steps of Faith for Today:  Trust that the Lord will give me renewed strength to get through this difficult week.

Memory verses for the week:  Colossians 3:8-11.

8 But now you also, put them all aside:  anger, wrath, malice, slander, and abusive speech from your mouth.  9 Do not lie to one another, since you laid aside the old self with its evil practices, 10 and have put on the new self who is being renewed to a true knowledge according to the image of the One who created Him—11 a renewal in which there is no distinction between Greek and Jew, circumcised and uncircumcised, barbarian and Scythian, slave and freeman, but Christ is all, and in all.

Answer to yesterday’s Bible question:  “Good, acceptable, perfect” (Romans 12:2).

Today’s Bible question: “Who did Jesus say were ‘blind leaders of the blind?’?”

Answer in our next SD.

10/31/2014 11:32 AM

 

No comments:

Post a Comment